Mod my power supply or buy a new one?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Tullphan

Mod my power supply or buy a new one?

Post by Tullphan » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:55 am

I have an antec 400w (PP-412X) power supply that i'm considering swapping out the fan for a panaflo L1A to make it a little quieter, yet at the same time considering buying this power supply to save myself the hassle.
What do you guys think? Will an 80mm L1A do a good job as the exhaust for the Antec? Or do you think by the time I spend the $'s & time on the fan mod i'd be better off buying the other?

Thanks for your input!

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:03 pm

You should have an extra exhaust fan or two in your case, so the PSU doesn't have to cool both itself and your case. As long as you have that additional exhaust fan, and you aren't running a super-powered computer, the fan swap should be okay. but first, feel the PSU exhaust now: if it's already warm, you might not want do swap the PSU fan until you find a way to reroute case airflow, so that the PSU gets cooler intake air.

Of course, it also depends on how much your time is worth to you. I think modding PSU's with new fans is a fun adventure the first few times you do it, so if you're reasonably confident that you can swap the fan without killing yourself, go for it!