Logysis Hard Drive Silencer with Samsung HD401LJ?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

james111

Logysis Hard Drive Silencer with Samsung HD401LJ?

Post by james111 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:28 pm

How do you think tihs hdd cooler/silencer would perform with this hdd?

I'm not concerned with vibrations at all, just the very high pitch whine that I hear.... would this enclosure eliminate it?
Last edited by james111 on Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alfred

Post by alfred » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:56 pm

It seems to be identical to the Silentmaxx HD Silencer Rev.2.0 (save for the blue-versus-black color and company's logo). I'm using one Silentmaxx and one Scythe Quiet Enclosure right now in my main PC (2x Samsung HD401LJ RAID-0 setup) with both enclosures laying on foam and the tower has been damped with some Noiseblocker EvolutionEQ Platinum damping material too (impressive stuff). I've been testing the Silentmaxx enclosure ±2 hours in free air prior to building the RAID-0 array, in order to compare it to Nexus and Scythe enclosures; so far I'd rate the Silentmaxx easily as good as the Scythe for reducing idle noise, but a little lower for reducing vibrations. Nexus always comes third place. I only got rid of all vibration-induced noises from my dual HD401LJ setup when decoupling enclosures from the tower using some additional Noiseblocker damping material.

Temp-wise, I think the Silentmaxx is the best performer but I didn't compare the enclosures with the same hard disk. Another very good point for the Silentmaxx enclosure is that it's significantly smaller than the Scythe (the Scythe being smaller than the Nexus if you remove external pads on the Scythe). I don't know if there are some big differences between the three enclosures when it comes to reducing vibrations because I'm using industrial quantities of high-grade foam everywhere in this rig; only thing I can say is that the single noise source I can hear from this PC is the ~7Volt Nexus 120mm fan (using fanless motherboard, CPU HS, GPU & PSU). I can't check SMART temps from both Samsung drives because of the ICH8R RAID setup.

To answer your questions, I'm confident this enclosure would perform very well with a T133 hard disk drive. High-freq whine from two HD401LJ will be reduced to something lower than a cherry-picked Nexus 120mm black & white fan at 7 Volts, provided you decouple the enclosures properly.

james111

Post by james111 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:14 pm

Wow, thanks for the quick reply, and thats what I was hoping to hear :D

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:42 pm

alfred

Post by alfred » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:40 am

I guess Steve_Y wrote about the Silentmaxx Rev.1.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:29 am

That might be true... good point.

Do you know how to identify which version a given reseller offer? What's the difference between rev. 1 and 2?

Thanks.