best approach to fix a failed partition shrink

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

besonen

best approach to fix a failed partition shrink

Post by besonen » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:33 pm

i have a laptop that has a 40 GB hard drive with approximately 38 GBs allocated to a primary NTFS partition.

the NTFS partition has approximately 9.5 GBs of actual data.

i attempted to shrink the partition to 10 GBs using partition magic 8 but the process failed with this error message:

#50 read fault

i can no longer gain access to the partition.

i have done nothing else to this hard drive.

what is the best way to approach fixing the partition so i can again access the 9.5 GBs of data?

-- david

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:06 pm

Hello,

You could try GetDataBack for NTFS? If it works, you can license it.

thegoldenstrand

hope you can recover things, but.. damn you cut it close.

Post by thegoldenstrand » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:55 pm

I have been shrinking partitions for a while and I would be really scared to try what you did.

Hope you can recover things, so you should DEFINITELY give what Neil suggested a try, but...

Don't cut it so close again, give yourself another 40-50% room for error and back up back up back up..

toliman

Post by toliman » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:24 pm

nothing can really get the data back 100% with a shrink process, since pm8 isnt really using the proper tools to do this. there is supposedly a ntfs5 app i.e. vista compatible to do shrinking partitions on NTFS 5, but YMMV.

never really tried it.

recently on a vista laptop, lost the boot sectors or some such error that Vista repair couldnt even touch, let alone fix, due to vista's disingenous evil. after 2 days of trying various apps, i used testdisk, a linux/windows app to do this. i found it on a vistaPE bootcd, but the best option was actually to use ubuntu, would have been a lot faster to get started if i had known this as recovery only took 30 mins in total, and an hour to copy the rest of the files over the network.

it was the only program to actually recognise a "vista" partition, and the only real way i could make backups over the network, as i had a few files over 4gb in size stored on the system. its also pretty easy to use, and you can recover data from within the program as well as the most likely candidate for a partition, it will also scan for raid data, partition table errors, etc.