New Scythe Ita Kaze hard disk cooler (active 100mm fan)

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Felger Carbon

New Scythe Ita Kaze hard disk cooler (active 100mm fan)

Post by Felger Carbon » Fri May 02, 2008 6:36 pm

Here. Interesting little gadget. Hard to figure how the airflow works from this link.

Anybody seriously interested should also read my review of the Nexus Frizzbee and the Logisys HC-100 in the User Review forum. These things do work, and do work quietly (sometimes needing a fan controller to adjust the cooling/noise ratio).

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat May 03, 2008 1:29 am

That looks neat. I wonder if those are aluminum fins on the mount bracket? That fan should be almost silent at 12V, but if it's like the faster version of the fan, it needs about 8V to start-up.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue May 20, 2008 3:42 pm

FWIW.....This cooler is now available from Jabtech

Still hard to tell about the airflow......but the price is right. :)

bgavin

Post by bgavin » Wed May 21, 2008 2:06 am

This is a sleeve bearing fan. Since most hard drives are mounted horizontally, this means the fan axis is vertical. I understand this is very hard on sleeve bearing fans.

It seems that Scythe is about the only vendor for thin, 100mm fans. That certainly restricts the choices for replacements.

The Ultra Aluminum Cooler seemed to do more for cooling than a fan in this article. At $25 USD from TigerDirect, they are a bit pricey, but 100% silent.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Wed May 21, 2008 2:28 am

Heh.....I actually have one of those "Ultra" hard drive coolers. It still needs a small fan blowing on it to keep the temp down to where I like it (low/mid 30s). In a higher airflow setup than mine, it might get by with no fan.

The Scythe cooler costs 1/2 as much, takes up less space, and comes with a fan. Suspend it if you want..... :lol:

bgavin

Post by bgavin » Wed May 21, 2008 2:31 am

I see I'm not the only one who is up early...

Thanks for the input on the Ultra. I was thinking it might really do the job for hot running drives when combined with a slow 120mm fan above it. Then again, I don't run Raptor drives. I get about 33~35C from SMART on WD 5000AAKS sata drives in a Solo case with 92mm Panaflo at 5v.