sssd sata vs nvme pci boot windows drive

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan

sssd sata vs nvme pci boot windows drive

Post by dan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:20 am

:D

my asus p5k has a legacy bios.

there is a program called "Clover EFI bootloader" https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/

which claims to allow legacy bios to install nvme pci adapters and then a m.2 ssd.

i would also have to figure out how to configure the second 16x, it seemingly only allows graphics or 1x

so the question is

for those with experience

how much faster is installing the windows and apps on a boot ssd on a sata vs pci e - nvme?

i know on synthetic benchmarks nvme is much faster than sata, but if you were to install something as big and unwiedly as windows, in my case on a sata2 vs nvme how much do you lose in performance?
:oops:

i think if i were to go the nvme route i would have to buy it at my local microcenter so if there's a compatibility problem i can easily return it

vs

if i go sata ssd i can buy it at amazon or newegg

Abula

Re: sssd sata vs nvme pci boot windows drive

Post by Abula » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:56 am

The only real gain you will have with NVME is if you need sequeantial writes/reads, like heavy editing. For everything else, you wont be able to tell them apart on a blind test, you see, what an SSD brings to the table is given by its design, not by the interface, the 0 latency super resonsive feel you can get it even with an old sata II ssd like intel x25, i cant tell the difference between all my ssds, and i own like 8, even the intel 900p and samsung 960pro which are currently the fastest, but on blind tests i cant tell.

Now the downsides for you, its very likely that you will have issues with trying to boot on old hardware with PCIe, i have friend had issues with newer hardware than your, and even more so you are trying to go with win7. Go with something like Crucial MX500 or Samsung 860Evo, are both very good consumer level sata III ssds, even if you dont have sata III on your motherboard, they will still give you a very responsive experience with your pc, you will only lose on transferring files (you will be capped at sata II), but on all other things you wont notice a difference.

In conclusion, save your money and go with Sata ssd, and use the saving toward updating your hardware in the future, a Pentium G4600 will run circles on c2d and much more efficient easier to cool off and better fan management.

dan

Post by dan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:06 am

Abula wrote:The only real gain you will have with NVME is if you need sequeantial writes/reads, like heavy editing. For everything else, you wont be able to tell them apart on a blind test, you see, what an SSD brings to the table is given by its design, not by the interface, the 0 latency super resonsive feel you can get it even with an old sata II ssd like intel x25, i cant tell the difference between all my ssds, and i own like 8, even the intel 900p and samsung 960pro which are currently the fastest, but on blind tests i cant tell.

Now the downsides for you, its very likely that you will have issues with trying to boot on old hardware with PCIe, i have friend had issues with newer hardware than your, and even more so you are trying to go with win7. Go with something like Crucial MX500 or Samsung 860Evo, are both very good consumer level sata III ssds, even if you dont have sata III on your motherboard, they will still give you a very responsive experience with your pc, you will only lose on transferring files (you will be capped at sata II), but on all other things you wont notice a difference.

In conclusion, save your money and go with Sata ssd, and use the saving toward updating your hardware in the future, a Pentium G4600 will run circles on c2d and much more efficient easier to cool off and better fan management.
thanks for sharing this with me.

in terms of price there's not too much of a price difference between nvme m.2 and sata, though in my case i'd also have to buy a nvme pci adapter as my motherboard as no m.2 slots

what i would have to figure out is how to get clover uefi to work, which is time.

i guess i want reassurance that should i buy a sata ssd i should be happy with my investment, as opposed toa m.2 nvme ssd

newegg and amazon sells it for $25

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-PEX ... B01FU9JS94

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 0018-00020

Derek Semeraro

Post by Derek Semeraro » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:51 am

NVMe offers much superior specs on paper, but in terms of real-world benefits, NVMe may not be worth the extra cost for many builders out there.