do nvme ssd drives need heatsink ?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan

Post by dan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:45 pm

to keep them cool?

are there good products or can i use old socket 370 coolers i have around and if so how do i attach them without voiding any warranty?

Abula

Re: do nvme ssd drives need heatsink ?

Post by Abula » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:26 pm

Its a very polemic subject.

NAD likes to be hot to some point, according to what i have read, lower temperature on NAD is detriment to the longevity. Now how high should it be.... its hard to say also, really depends on the design on each manufacturer.

Now the processor doesn't like the heat, as CPU and GPU, most have throttling temperatures where you lose performance if you don't keep them below certain temperature.

Manufacturers like Samsung say their sticker is partially made of cooper to act as heatsink and that its enough, but most of us run our PCs are very low rpms, thus the airflow is limited on quiet pcs, most of the components run hotter because of this, and NVME ssds will get affected aswell, for this reason i do use EK NVME heatsinks.

Some say its a good idea to get a heatsink for the nvme but to use the thermal pads only on the processor and leave the nad without it so its heats some.

My 970pro/960Pro usually hangs around 40C idle and on high stress around 50C (this is with the heatsink).

dan

Post by dan » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:26 am

how do you attach them? can u use glue?

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:29 pm

dan wrote:how do you attach them? can u use glue?
no, it has some sort of clamps that attach from the top to the bottom.

dan

Post by dan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:06 am

Abula wrote:
any clamps for sale?

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:17 pm

dan wrote:
Abula wrote:
any clamps for sale?
Not that i know off, besides are particular to each SSD heatsink. But if you are looking to attach any heatsink you could try some rubber and do as many loops as needed for them to have some pressure on the heatsink.

dan

Post by dan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:41 pm

interesting suggestion

i still have a couple of socket 370 aluminum and copper heat sinks from the celeron 300a days

not sure how to fix it to ssd but rubber band or possibly cable ties

don't want to crack it obviously.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:54 am

I've installed a couple of NVMe SSDs on some systems. I have run into temperature issues with them. At the very least, without some airflow, they can get over 70C. On one, we started seeing data corruption when it was running at 75C. I didn't install any heat sinks on them but added some additional airflow and it helped bring the temps down. So I would definitely recommend you make sure you have airflow and/or heat sinks on them.

The ones I used were a Western Digital Black SSD NVMe (the older version, not the latest one) and an AData XPG SX6000. Neither had any kind of heatsink or heat spreader on them. So ones like Samsung where the label acts like a heat spreader might do a little better than these. I put both into Dell Optiplex SFF PCs. These only have one fan on the CPU that also acts as the exhaust fan. But the fan runs slowly or turns off when the CPU isn't doing anything. Leaving very little airflow through the case. And the M.2 slot is away from this behind the memory and under the drives. In the one, I just put a front fan on it to keep some airflow always running through the system. The other one that had the data corruption, I also placed a fan in the drive bay blowing directly down on the drive. Not a very elegant solution. I heat sink on this one would be better.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:21 am

On bare NVMe SSDs, it's usually just the controller that gets hot. If you don't want to buy a complete NVMe heatsink/heatspreader, you could just get a RAM chip heat sink with sticky thermal adhesive to put on the controller.

dan

Post by dan » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:11 am

BillyBuerger wrote:I've installed a couple of NVMe SSDs on some systems. I have run into temperature issues with them. At the very least, without some airflow, they can get over 70C. On one, we started seeing data corruption when it was running at 75C. I didn't install any heat sinks on them but added some additional airflow and it helped bring the temps down. So I would definitely recommend you make sure you have airflow and/or heat sinks on them.

The ones I used were a Western Digital Black SSD NVMe (the older version, not the latest one) and an AData XPG SX6000. Neither had any kind of heatsink or heat spreader on them. So ones like Samsung where the label acts like a heat spreader might do a little better than these. I put both into Dell Optiplex SFF PCs. These only have one fan on the CPU that also acts as the exhaust fan. But the fan runs slowly or turns off when the CPU isn't doing anything. Leaving very little airflow through the case. And the M.2 slot is away from this behind the memory and under the drives. In the one, I just put a front fan on it to keep some airflow always running through the system. The other one that had the data corruption, I also placed a fan in the drive bay blowing directly down on the drive. Not a very elegant solution. I heat sink on this one would be better.
that sounds really hot. perhaps NVME need a heat pipe solution?

dan

Post by dan » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:12 am

CA_Steve wrote:On bare NVMe SSDs, it's usually just the controller that gets hot. If you don't want to buy a complete NVMe heatsink/heatspreader, you could just get a RAM chip heat sink with sticky thermal adhesive to put on the controller.
sounds like a good idea, but isn't heat pipe even better?

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:38 am

dan wrote:
CA_Steve wrote:On bare NVMe SSDs, it's usually just the controller that gets hot. If you don't want to buy a complete NVMe heatsink/heatspreader, you could just get a RAM chip heat sink with sticky thermal adhesive to put on the controller.
In such a small factor i don't see it too variable, unless you want to end up with a huge M.2 placed in another place (if you go this route simply go with U2)... to me defeats the purpose of them. Most of the NVME drives are fine without a cooler, they wouldn't sell them like that if they don't believe they would work without getting a ton of returns. For me heatsinks work for us like EK (but other options are fine), because we usually drive our fans lower than the average user, thus having a not so great airflow does affect somewhat the temps of the drives, so a little help goes a long way, specially underload.

dan

Post by dan » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:45 pm

speaking of airflow

nofan has d/c the 95, only 80 is left

but i was envisioning

amd ravenbridge ap @ 7nm

nofan cpu cooler

seasonic titanic fanless

atx mid tower case with mesh design

no fans

no add in gpu card

nvme evo 970

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:18 pm

For what you are trying to do, simply go with standard sata ssd, most of them work fine without any direct cooling and in most cases the use the casing as cooling.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:11 pm

dan wrote:
Heat pipe is way overkill. It's not that these things really generate that much heat. It's just that they are small and in some cases have no cooling solution. So that little bit of heat it does generate has nowhere to go and can build up. I'm guessing Samsung NVMe that have the copper label probably do better than the ones I've tried. That likely is all that is needed.

I'm guess what I'm trying to say is watch the temps. If they are reasonable, then you're good. But if they are running warm (>60C or definitely >70C), then look at other cooling options. Either adjust your airflow or attach some small heat sinks.

dan

Post by dan » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:30 am

to this day i'm enchanted with the mac g4 cube passive cooling via chimney.

:lol:

with raven bridge apu and ssd and seasonic fanless psu its now possible to construct, build a purely silent true silent pc