Maxtor DiamondMax Plus D740X vs Seagate Barracuda IV

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

<BR>Has anyone tested these two side by side to see which is quieter?
<BR>
<BR>I am curious since other companies are getting into the FDB game.
<BR>
<BR>-Mike
[addsig]

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

Check this article -- A bit more on the Maxtor DiamondMax D740X -- here: <!-- BBCode Start --><A HREF="http://www.storagereview.com/" TARGET="_blank">http://www.storagereview.com/</A><!-- BBCode End --> Near bottom of front page -- they say it's very close, but looks like 'cuda measures lower.
[addsig]

yunez
Friend of SPCR

Post by yunez » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

ive got the maxtor with standard bearings, not the FDB. the idle high pitched whine is driving me nuts, im looking for drive enclosures to shut it up.
[addsig]

Shmanky

Post by Shmanky » Tue Aug 13, 2002 6:38 pm

I recommend you visit the Maxtor and Seagate websites and look at the PDF specification documents and compare their rated noise characteristics. I recommend Seagate.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Thu Aug 15, 2002 9:12 am

I don't have a seagate to compare it to, but I do own a Maxtor DiamondMax D740X with the Fluid Bearings.
I've got mine Sandwiched and Side-sinked with aluminum plates, and suspended with neoprene cord. In my case the drive is completely inaudible under normal conditions. In fact the only noise you can hear from it at all is the seek noise, and to hear that I have to have my ear literally pressing against the vent holes in the front of the case.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Aug 15, 2002 9:22 am

Wow, you've gone all out to attack the drive noise/heat problem!! Your comment does it: I've got to get a D740X with Fluid Bearings to compare against 'cuda (I have a handful of those, all single platter). I'll try to contact Maxtor directly, but it's hard to get through to these big corporations. Can anyone suggest a retailer who might be willing to submit a review sample?