Seagate 200 GB

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ArtCubed

Seagate 200 GB

Post by ArtCubed » Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:58 am

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... WSE&depa=0

Not even sure if it's a 'cuda or not...but anyone have experience with either a 160 or 200 GB Seagate drive? The IBM Deathstar in my G4 is screaming since I replaced the fans...it just became noticeable and it's incredibly annoying. Suspension or other silencing methods aren't options because of the way the inside of the G4 is set up...

Thanks

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:49 pm

the seagate website lists the specs of each of their drives, including bels

2.5, 2.8, 3.4 bels

160GB samsung, 8MB, are rated higher on this site.

mudboy

Post by mudboy » Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:58 am

The 200GB Seagate is on sale at CompUSA this weekend for $99 AR, I got one several weeks ago and it's a Barracuda 7200'7; nice drive, seems fast enough, though I can't figure out how to enable acoustic management mode on the drive? The drive isn't exactly noisy, but the seeks are loud (to me) in a popcorn-popping sort of way.

Pete

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:53 am

mudboy wrote:The 200GB Seagate is on sale at CompUSA this weekend for $99 AR, I got one several weeks ago and it's a Barracuda 7200'7; nice drive, seems fast enough, though I can't figure out how to enable acoustic management mode on the drive? The drive isn't exactly noisy, but the seeks are loud (to me) in a popcorn-popping sort of way.

Pete
You can't enable AAM on the 7200.7 series. Seagate was sued by the folks that supposedly invented AAM so they disabled it. There's been many posts about this situation here at SPCR, search and ye shall find. It's the main reason I won't recommend the 7200.7 to anyone that wants a quiet system, there's no way (short of suspension mounting or enclosure mounting the drives) to quiet the seek noise.