Suspending hard drive w/ Stretch Magic (picture)

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Splinter

Post by Splinter » Mon May 02, 2005 7:05 pm

I just did a brief test.

A single strand of 1.8mm SM, looped around a 15lbs barbell was supported for about 2 minutes with no sign of breakage. (I didnt test for longer because I got bored)

So I'm pretty damn sure 4 strands could support 2 harddrives indefinately.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue May 03, 2005 2:27 am

Welcome to SPCR What's a cubit?!!

FWIW, I know the reference...this was on the first Bill Cosby LP that I heard when I was a kid! 8)

wim

Post by wim » Tue May 03, 2005 5:09 am

Neil, i am not certain that your welcome message will be received.. :)
What's a cubit?
Last edited by wim on Fri May 06, 2005 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Ballslap

Post by Bruce Ballslap » Tue May 03, 2005 6:07 am

Oh yes indeed wim, what a shameless crime to welcome a member so late! Where would we end up without your fundamental remarks!

wim

Post by wim » Tue May 03, 2005 4:12 pm

:cry:

MassMan
Friend of SPCR

Post by MassMan » Thu May 05, 2005 1:34 pm

Heh sorry for being a bit off-topic but I found this quite funny =)

I googled for stretch magic on Danish websites and found http://www.lingerieshop.dk/38/41 which sells some "Magic Penis Ring-Stretch" hehe... Dunno how suitable it would be for anti-vibration. Gotta love google =)

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Thu May 05, 2005 2:31 pm

Bruce Ballslap wrote:Oh yes indeed wim, what a shameless crime to welcome a member so late! Where would we end up without your fundamental remarks!
Well that wasn't very nice.... I thought wim was just saying the welcome came almost a year too late.

The danger of "bumped" threads....

wim

Post by wim » Fri May 06, 2005 4:42 am

:lol: whoops i just meant to make a funny, not trying to be a smartarse. maybe my humour is too dry. ok, Bruce, i edited my message..hopefully it is more palatable now

i doubt cubit left in a huff on 19 Aug 2004 because (s)he didn't get a big colourful welcome message. fwiw i never got one either *voice crackles*..excuse me..i have something in my eye..

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Fri May 06, 2005 7:54 am

wim,

Welcome to SPCR !!. 8)

Pete
(No 'witty' comments about the lateness now... :lol: )

madd02

Post by madd02 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:00 am

FINALLY...a good looking suspension system. Thanks for the pic !!!

I was able to source some 1mm Stretch Magic here in New Zealand, but am asking around for the apparently illusive 1.8mm stuff.

I was thinking, what about atttaching some heat sinks to the areas on the side of the HDD, eg as to not interfere with the Stretch Magic, but provide cooling. I have an old coolerMaster CPU heatsink that is about to meet my hacksaw.

As per my crap diagram below...

Top view of suspended HDD with (w)heat sinks attached to sides and (=) Stretch Magic suspension. (excuse the full stops for spacers...i tried just space's but no go =( )
......----------------
....w|.................|w
=============
....w|.....HDD......|w
=============
......----------------

Just a thought, i will try it when my stretch magic arrives, and post pics.

madd02

Post by madd02 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:59 pm

I like the look of this suspension method !

Does anyone know a source for 1.8mm Stretch Magic in New Zealand ?

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:36 am

Wherever you get plumbing supplys you can get copper straps user to mount copper pipe. Use the srew holes in the drives sides to attach a strip,about 3/4" wide,to each side of the drive as a heatsink. Drives conduct a lot of their heat through the sides. Then just do the whole thing in the elastic

egarrard

Post by egarrard » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:53 am

You could use one of the 2 fan aluminum drive cooler that bolts to the bottom of the hard drive. I think Vantec is the usual brand you'll see. Take off the fans and use the rest as a passive heatsink.

Pipps

Post by Pipps » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:44 am

Would anyone suggest whether fitting small rubber grommets into the drilled holes in your drive bays would be a good idea? Grommets with a central diameter of, say, 2mm, for the StretchMagic to fit through?

I am about to perform this drive-suspension modification myself, and would not wish for the StretchMagic to become snagged or damaged by the sharp edges of the small holes which I drill through the metal sides of my 3.5" drive bays. What do you think?

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:57 am

Pipps wrote:Would anyone suggest whether fitting small rubber grommets into the drilled holes in your drive bays would be a good idea? Grommets with a central diameter of, say, 2mm, for the StretchMagic to fit through?

I am about to perform this drive-suspension modification myself, and would not wish for the StretchMagic to become snagged or damaged by the sharp edges of the small holes which I drill through the metal sides of my 3.5" drive bays. What do you think?
Pipps you amaze me with every post you make, but you didn't need to bump up an old thread :P

Grommets are a fine idea for your project, I don't understand why it would not be fine.

Pipps

Post by Pipps » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:51 am

Thank you LodeHacker! I read your system build thread earlier, and you have a fine system in the making. Practically identical to my own! :)

Hope you don't mind me contributing to this thread. This topic is the forum's definitive compendium of drive-suspension wisdom! If rubber grommets turn out to be the way forward - it would seem right for all relevant StretchMagic and grommet related knowledge to be found in the same index!

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:42 am

Pipps wrote:Thank you LodeHacker! I read your system build thread earlier, and you have a fine system in the making. Practically identical to my own! :)
Nice, maybe you can help me out? Any recommendations are welcome there :P

On topic, according to what people say here, Stretch Magic is strong and suitable for HDD suspension. You seem to be enticed to try out modding your case to allow HDD suspension, correct? If so then taking care that the Stretch Magic won't touch sharp edges is a step forward and rubber grommets seem to be perfect for this.

Before starting out though, you might want to look at different suspension techniques. I'm talking about something like this http://www.silentpcreview.com/article109-page1.html

Have fun with your project & all the best,
LodeHacker

psiu

Post by psiu » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:12 am

Pipps wrote:Would anyone suggest whether fitting small rubber grommets into the drilled holes in your drive bays would be a good idea? Grommets with a central diameter of, say, 2mm, for the StretchMagic to fit through?

What I did for that problem was to drill the holes, then take the pointed dremel grinding stones and smooth the holes on both sides...then run finger over them all. When I don't bleed anymore, I know it's all good!

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:03 am

psiu wrote:What I did for that problem was to drill the holes, then take the pointed dremel grinding stones and smooth the holes on both sides...then run finger over them all. When I don't bleed anymore, I know it's all good!
Isn't that a bit too hardcore :lol: