FYI: Availability of NIDEC Spinpoints in Australia

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

anthonysimilion

Post by anthonysimilion » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:10 am

I'm about to purchase a Spinpoint, and am located in Perth.

There aren't any stores who stock Spinpoints in Perth AFAIK, and there is one which is willing to order one in (but probably won't be able to cherry pick though).

Do you think there is a large risk from ordering online - or for warranty claims to you go directly to Samsung anyway?

I'm actually just thinking of taking the risk. Should I? In any case, I've been told that even one with a JVC motor will be an improvement over my loud (and whiny) Western Digital WD1200JB.

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:19 am

I recommend you go for the NIDEC. The whine from the JVC is so annoying you will be forever wishing you hadn't wasted your money. I've now got an account with Samsung's distributor so I can try to get NIDECs. I say "try" because when a shipment comes in, it is either all JVC or all NIDEC. If I get enough interest I could maybe get many NIDECs at once, but I would need to wait for the right shipment to arrive.

anthonysimilion

Post by anthonysimilion » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:51 pm

Looks like I'll have to order online - which I'm still not too sure about. Scorpion Tech's prices are through the roof! (20 dollars more than other stores, although they seemingly can guarantee a NIDEC)

Do warranty claims go straight to Samsung or do they have to go through the dealer?

anthonysimilion

Post by anthonysimilion » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:34 pm

Chancellor Martok, I'll wait until you receive your Spinpoint from Scorptec before I order from them. Please keep us (me too!) informed about your progress. :)

I guess sacrificing 40GB for silence is alright.

eLekTRiK

Post by eLekTRiK » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:41 am

I know it is no guarantee, but I picked up a pair of 160GB NIDEC SATA SpinPoints on NewEgg just a few weeks ago. Maybe just lucky :D

anthonysimilion

Post by anthonysimilion » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:09 am

Well, I've asked at numerous computer stores in my area, and none are able to get NIDEC drives. From what several have told me, their supplier only has JVC's in stock.

Looks like it'll be a long wait until the supplier gets new stock, and even then, there is no guarantee of any NIDEC's.

I guess I'll have to live with some noisy WD's for the time being.