Add CD/DVD drives to the recommended pages?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jaeger

Add CD/DVD drives to the recommended pages?

Post by Jaeger » Tue Sep 03, 2002 2:22 am

Hi,

The biggest sound source in a silenced computer tends to be the CD or DVD drive. It would be nice to be able to find a "silent" one.

So could it be possible to add to the recommended page CD/DVD drives and info like:
- sound level in normal operation
- if adjustable max speed (by software)
- same for spin down time
- DVD playing speed
- sound level in standby (fans, does it spin always, etc)

Any other ideas?

Sami

davidhooper

Post by davidhooper » Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:20 am

-DVD playing noise, but I think you already implied that.

Sound good to me. A quick user review of the Pioneer 106S:
-Not quiet.
-Slot drive is apparantly ever so slightly noiser than the tray version.
-Acceptably quieter but still not good when slowed with s/w available from the Pioneer website.

jsw
-- Vendor --

Post by jsw » Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:55 am

I've got a couple of the pioneer drives in systems running WinXP. I've tried their drive speed utility and haven't got it to work. The when I put it in quiet mode, the drive spins down, but then immediately gets loud again when I access it. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

--Jeff

Jaeger

Post by Jaeger » Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:47 am

I've Ricoh MP9120 DVD/CD-RW Combo.

Silent when not in use (no fan)
Nero CD speed can slow it down
Unable to adjust spindown time

Sami

Beyonder

Post by Beyonder » Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:09 am

I have a Lite-on LTD-163 that's pretty much completely silent during DVD operation (runs a 1X) - it's the primary reason I got it. During boot up/high speed useage it's pretty noisy though.

I don't know if the top speed can be throttled down; the only time it really bothers me is when I'm trying to watch a DVD or play a game and the drive is spinning like mad, so slowing the drive down has never been an issue to me.

Dru
Patron of SPCR

Post by Dru » Thu Sep 12, 2002 5:44 am

Pioneer DVD-115 (16x I believe)
* Silent when idle
* Very noisy with CD or DVD
* CDs get real hot with usage (might be my cooling)

TDK CDRW401240X
* Silent when idle
* Very noisy with any CD

I just don't think there's a CD drive out there that is quiet. I hope I'm proven wrong. I'm anxious to hear someone report on the new Yamaha drives that claim to have noise reduction.

That Lite-On seems tempting especially since it's only $35 on the internet. Does it run 1x with DVDs is stock mode or did you have to run a software utility to adjust that speed?

Beyonder

Post by Beyonder » Fri Sep 13, 2002 1:53 pm

It seems to run DVD's that way automatically. All I know is it's definetly very quiet - my hard drive (WD1200JB) makes more noise than the DVD player during operation.

Again, during file transfer or high rotation speed, the drive is pretty noisy, but during cd or dvd usage, it's very quiet.

I think storagereview.com did a review on the lite-on drive I have - they also noted it was exceptionally quiet (which was initially the reason I got the drive). Here's a quote from Storagereview.com's review:

As a 48X reader, the drive operates at a constant 10,800 RPM when reading at full speed. The drive is remarkably quiet considering its spindle speeds… there are much louder 40X readers out there. What most consumers should be more interested in, however, is the drive's noise levels when playing DVD-Videos. Whereas most DVD-ROMs spin at full spindle speed when playing back movies, the Lite-On spins at minimal speeds (perhaps 1X) and thus is nearly silent during movie playback.

On top of that, it's pretty fast and overall a pretty good drive. I can't say I'm unhappy with it at all, although I'd like a CD-RW version but I don't know if it's as quiet during operation as the DVD-ROM version.

Dru
Patron of SPCR

Post by Dru » Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:49 pm

I did a little reading on a new 16x DVD drive called the Liteon LTD-165H. It's supposed to be an upgraded LTD-163. I found a decent forum which has a lot of info about it. Go to the link below and do further narrowing of the topics by doing a search on "LTD-165H".

I am thinking about getting this DVD drive to replace my Pioneer 16x DVD one. I'll let you know my findings.

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=44