It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: is Cuda V 120gb similar noise to Cuda IV 80gb?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 7:19 am 

My understanding is that the Barracuda V drives use denser platters than the Barracuda IV drives.

I'm guessing that the IV 80GB were two platter, and that the new V 120GB is two platter.

Does anybody know for sure if the Barracuda V 120GB drive is about the same noise as the Barracuda IV 80GB drive?

I've got a IV 80GB now, and while it isn't silent, its the quietest large drive I've had. In fact I have a brand new WD 120GB 8meg cache model and its loud just idling...

I would like a super quiet single platter smaller GB drive, but I need the storage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:31 am 

I have both IV 80 Gb and V 120 Gb and I find the V 120 Gb more nosier for sure. It even has an annoying whine. My first Barracuda, a IV 40 Gb was really silent though, probably because it only has one platter. I think only the one platter models get reviewed on the web, otherwise the Barracuda IV and V wouldt't have such a 'silent' reputation.

But I agree on you when you say that the Barracuda's are more silent than similar drives of other brands. Unfortunately that is not good enough for me!