Quietest slimline dvd drive ?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tridion

Quietest slimline dvd drive ?

Post by tridion » Thu Dec 19, 2002 5:13 am

Could someone recommend a really quiet slimline (laptop type) dvd drive ?

I have a Toshiba SD-C2402 (quite an old model) which is fine playing dvd video and reading CDs but is very loud when reading data DVDs.

I tried using CD Bremse but this will only allow me to reduce the CD speed and the DVD speed list boxes are disabled. I have updated to the most recent firmware but it hasnt helped.

Any advice on silencing this drive or what to replace it with would be greatly appreciated.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:58 pm

I have owned many laptops from different companies including Dell, Compaq, IBM, HP, Toshiba and many other generic manufacturers and found no optical drive was ever quiet. So I think trying to find one that is will be hard.

My tip is try using CD software that emulates CD's instead. There are some views they don't work with all CD's especially with the latest of games, but I have not come across this personally. I find that all my CD's can be emulated without a glitch. I even find some encripted CD's that don't allow you to make backup copy with Nero burner or EZ CD Creator will work fine with Virtual CD 7.0.

Good luck :)