LG's combo drive

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

alexcheng1979

LG's combo drive

Post by alexcheng1979 » Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:18 pm

HI all:
Does anyone has experience with LG's CDRW & DVD combo drive?
It's rated 32x10x40 and 16x on DVD.
I would like to know if this drive considered quite, fairly quite or noisy?
How about the performance on reading CD-Rom and DVD?

If it's not a good choice for a quite PC (I have seem some really really noisy optical drive), I might just get a Asus 48X12X48 and a seperate DVD drive. Any suggestion on the DVD drive alone?
I have a choice between Sony, LG, LiteOn, Toshiba, and Pioneer and they are all 16X.

I know there is very little preformance wise difference between 48x and 52x CD-ROM read. But how about comparing 40X to 48X or 40X to 52X?
Is there a bigger difference when compared that way?

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Re: LG's combo drive

Post by ez2remember » Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:16 am

alexcheng1979 wrote: I know there is very little preformance wise difference between 48x and 52x CD-ROM read. But how about comparing 40X to 48X or 40X to 52X?
Is there a bigger difference when compared that way?
The difference will be minimal I would be suprised if you notice a difference in speed. I use to have a 24X CDRW and it burn full 700mb CD in about 4mins, now I have a 48x CDRW and it burns a full 700mb CD just under 3mins. You would think a 48x CDRW should be twice as fast as a 24x CDRW, well its not. This is confirmed by all reviews from many sources, as speeds increases it is not proportional.

Some 40x CDROM will actually be on par with some 52x CDROM, it really depends on the maker and quality. Mind you though, the difference is so small it would be hard notice it. CDROM drive speed are not important at all nowadays. How often do we actually use the optical drive? Not often at all, and anything 24x above seems to be fast enough. All laptops are quoted at 24x and there are not many complaints about it being slow.

alexcheng1979

Post by alexcheng1979 » Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:04 pm

Thanks for the input!
Reason I am asking the performance on CD-ROM read is because I play some games and most of them run the CD while I am playing. I have a Asus 16x10x40 and a CD-ROM @ 52X on another system. 40x speed on Asus actually runs better than the 52X no name CD-ROM!
As for the write speed, I am pretty satisfied even if it's only 16X but sice I need a new drive for my new system, those 32x, 40x, and 52x write are what current market sells.

Any command on the LG combo drive? Is there a difference between "all in one" or seperate (CD-RW and DVD)?
If it's DVD alone, which brand you guys suggest consider noise and some performance?

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:19 am

If you play games, use something like Virtual CD which copies the entire CD to the hard disk. This much faster than any CD ROM drive and it's not as noisy. Not only that you don't have to keep getting out the CD or changing it everytime you want to play the game.

I am using Virtual CD 7, they are even offering ver 6.2 free with some computer magazine which works with Windows XP too. Not sure if they have it free on thier website.

It's a much better way to handle your CD's, unless you are really short on hard disk space. :roll:

Zergling
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zergling » Wed Dec 18, 2002 9:45 am

Virtual drive does not work on most modern games, and it shoulden't, as far as cd emulators go, I think Daemon Tools (freeware) is the best, but again, most modern games do not and should not work, if you really hate to spin up your game cd every time you play, try to download a no cd patch for your game.

I have an old philips 4X DVD-Rom that is dead quiet, it's probably because it's slow:D

alexcheng1979

Post by alexcheng1979 » Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:43 am

So any idea about the quiteness of the LG combo drive?

Zergling
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zergling » Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:11 pm

alexcheng1979 wrote:So any idea about the quiteness of the LG combo drive?
I just read this from another forum:

Well i got the LG DVDrom. The drive near silent and i noticed a huge drop in loading GTA3 from my 36x CDrom.

SmallQuietComputing
Friend of SPCR

Post by SmallQuietComputing » Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:32 am

I just received four of these a couple of days ago. Three of them are going to go up on eBay tomorrow. The fourth is going to a friend who says he doesn't mind noisy drives.

It is fairly quiet playing DVDs. It is rather noisy with both data and music CDs. I found that the spin noise made it hard to enjoy listening to music at low levels. When I first heard it, I began to pray that it would quiet down after a few seconds. Not such luck. Not quiet. :cry:

efcoins
Friend of SPCR

Post by efcoins » Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:55 pm

Mine overheated 2 days after intallation, and became CD reader only