InnoVibes and Seagate Barracuda

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fetaost

InnoVibes and Seagate Barracuda

Post by fetaost » Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:55 pm

Has anybody tried this product? It's two rubber chunks(?) that mounts your 3.5 HDD into an 5.25 slot.
I'm also curious about a passive HDD cooling/heatsink from Tiger systems(?) that is said to reduce noise and keep the drive cooler. Any experiences?

/Feta - sweden

Red Dawn

Post by Red Dawn » Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:35 am

Welcome to SPCR fetaost,

I have tried neither of those products, but if I go into speculation: I'd tend to think that suspension (ie. novibes) is better than direct mounting (even if it is with rubber). I haven't felt the quality and "softness" of this rubber they use, and therefore it's a bit of a shot in the dark.

As for the Tiger systems heatsink, It looks like a "regular" heatsink that you use thermal tape to fasten to the drive (this would be a very crude version of Seagate's SeaShield, without the foam). If you mount it on the bottom of the drive, then I imagine you'd get a very small decrease in noise/whine, BUT natural air convection would have to go around the entire drive (meaning it would heat it up on it's way up/around). You can also mount it on top, but I'm curious just how the drive would react if it's pressure "hole" would be sealed.

That's all I can think of right now. Hope it made any sense. :)

fetaost

Post by fetaost » Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:34 pm

Thanks for your reply!

I once read about a diy project called the sandwich, I think. The HDD was placed between two thick and heavy metal plates that would absorb vibrations, and also transfer the heat. I guess if the material the HDD is fastened to is heavy enough, the seeking sound will be reduced. I wonder how well the Tiger systems heatsink does this.

Red Dawn

Post by Red Dawn » Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:28 pm

Mmm, the hd sandwich is a project of Mike's (at least, the first one I ever saw). If you go and look under storage on the main page, I'm sure you can find it. He did a couple of revisions to it also, might be worth checking up, as well as the recentrubber block modding madness. Something which I will resort to shortly as well. :)

There is, like you say, sound being absorbed when using metal plates, but not all of it, just certain ranges are effectively absorbed by the metal. Foam helps dampen it down some more, amongst other things.

Only you can decide how far you want to go, and how deep your pockets are (in terms of cash/how much you are willing to spend). :)

Also, you might want to check this out, or the younger brother of it. They are expensive though. But are quite pleasing in an aesthetic kind of way, while at the same time providing adequate cooling and noise dampening qualities.

I have no idea about the Tiger systems solution though, you may want to drop gtek a letter (presuming that's where you found it?), in regards to that question.

Good luck!

siliconacoustics
-- Vendor --

Post by siliconacoustics » Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:04 pm

Innovibe is aluminum blocks (not rubber) that attach to the drive sides, and rubber standoffs where the screws go in. The aluminum blocks are a good idea to assist in cooling the drive. But the rubber standoffs make it difficult to install. As you squeeze an Innovibe equipped drive into a 5.25 inch bay the rubber standoffs bend back and don’t line up with the screws holes. It can take 10 minutes and poking with a screwdriver just to attach the 4 drive screws. It’s a pretty frustrating design defect, but the end result is similar in effectiveness to a NoVibes III.

Jonathan
http://siliconacoustics.com