Validity of reverse mounting hdd.

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jinu117

Validity of reverse mounting hdd.

Post by jinu117 » Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:58 pm

Some have seen it decreasing temperature in monitoring software as well as external probe.
However, I have suspicion that this might be a bad thing to do...
We keep mentioning about how HDD is much warmer at top plate compared to bottom. You rarely see a HDD with plastic top as there is usually aluminum top. Why would manufacturer do this in my guess is it is meant to pump the heat out through top.
We put the sensor on top of drive, we measure the temp from SMART based on location of sensor where manufacturer's put in. (sensible place would be hottest portion where the design dictates between the drive mechanism and top plate.
So.... in essence by flipping it around we are making heat go through other area of HDD which wasn't designed to be. Since the heat is going out through different channel, of course top plate is going to be cooler & inside temp measure is going to be lower.
But... how about the actual platter/etc which wasn't designed to take the same amount heat?!
Now, for those who said side of drive is hotter... I didn't find it the case with 3 different drives I tested (it always was top). WD 2000JB, Cuda IV 80GB, WD 800BB. Maybe you tested it while you side mounted this?
Just some food for thought. If anyone can tell me what the true scoop is, it will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely, Jin

larrymoencurly

Post by larrymoencurly » Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:33 am

I've read that the aluminum top makes the drive chassis stiffer, sort of the way that cast aluminum oil pans help stiffen car engines, and there used to be a Seagate 5.25" HD that could actually be twisted out of alignmentby overly long mounting screws pressing against the top dome.

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Re: Validity of reverse mounting hdd.

Post by powergyoza » Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:57 am

jinu117 wrote: But... how about the actual platter/etc which wasn't designed to take the same amount heat?!
Since most hdd's have double-sided platters and heads on both sides of the platter, one side is always upside down anyway. There should be no problems mounting a drive right-side-up, upside-down, sideways, or vertically.

Gandalf

Re: Validity of reverse mounting hdd.

Post by Gandalf » Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:41 pm

powergyoza wrote:
jinu117 wrote: But... how about the actual platter/etc which wasn't designed to take the same amount heat?!
Since most hdd's have double-sided platters and heads on both sides of the platter, one side is always upside down anyway. There should be no problems mounting a drive right-side-up, upside-down, sideways, or vertically.
Or diagonally despite what certain people say. I've had a Quantum Fireball hang (yes, hang) by the IDE cable for several months without any problems at all. (Don't blame me for being too lazy to mount it :P )