It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Barracuda 7200.7 specifications
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:20 am 

The idle spec for the multi-platter versions of the 7200.7/7+ is identical to the multi-platter rating for the B-IV and the B-V: 2.5 bels. Single platter version has a less-impressive spec: "<2.5 bels" vs. the 2.1 rating for the others. Still, the multiplatter specs are .3-.5 bels better than the 180GXP series.

The spec sheet offers 2 values for seek noise: performance seek and quiet seek. They are quite far apart - 3.4 vs. 2.8 (multi-platter). I wonder what the hit on performance is; my guess is it's probably similar to what that utility does to the IBM drives - circa 20 ms seek times.

These drives offer a big jump in transfer rates over the B-V, with specs comparable to the 180GXP. Looks like we'll be able to finally have our cake and eat it too - state of the art performance with very little noise. I think I'll delay my new system build until the + versions are available.

Those with marginal power supplies should check their +12v rail loads before installing multiple 7200.7's - these babies drink power, with a maximum drain of 2.8 A vs. the more standard 2. They are likely to run on the warm side, with a wattage on idle higher than the warmest IDE drive rated by StorageReview (the 180GXP).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:30 am 
Patron of SPCR

Here are "some" of the specs in black & white (well, and blue) for you Ross Perot types who like charts and tables :wink:. The info was taken directly from Seagate's web site:

Post subject: When?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:15 pm 
Friend of SPCR

Any idea on when these drives will be available? I looking at the 120 or higher? Is there any review or preview of these drives out there?