Hard drive silence rating?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PretzelB

Hard drive silence rating?

Post by PretzelB » Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:55 am

Anyone see an article rating hard drives by how slient they are? I have one pc that is really quiet right now, except for the hard drive. It's a 3 year old Maxtor drive and I think almost any new drive will be quieter but I want to back that up with some facts if possible.

I was going to go with a random Western Digital drive because I have a 60gb hard drive that is about a year old and it's pretty quiet.

jinu117

Re: Hard drive silence rating?

Post by jinu117 » Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:45 am

PretzelB wrote:Anyone see an article rating hard drives by how slient they are? I have one pc that is really quiet right now, except for the hard drive. It's a 3 year old Maxtor drive and I think almost any new drive will be quieter but I want to back that up with some facts if possible.

I was going to go with a random Western Digital drive because I have a 60gb hard drive that is about a year old and it's pretty quiet.
storagereview has database of information there. Very nifty indeed.
Yes, just about anything is quieter than 3 year old Maxtor now a day.

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:47 am

Yep, theres one here, right under your nose! :P :roll:

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:40 am

Thanks for the info. The StorageReview site is a new one for me. I'm not sure I follow their ratings though. The quietest drives start at 37 dba. I won't buy a 80mm case fan that runs over 32dba. Drives can't be that loud.

I also like the SPCR review, though basically it just tells me to buy a Seagate. The only easily found hard drive on this list is a Maxtor. My experience has been that Western Digital is much quieter than Maxtor but maybe that has changed recently.

I have to say that I'm a bit confused because the two lists don't seem to match very well, besides both agreeing on Seagate. Also, I was hoping to see more drives around the 60 gb range.

jinu117

Post by jinu117 » Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:36 pm

PretzelB wrote:Thanks for the info. The StorageReview site is a new one for me. I'm not sure I follow their ratings though. The quietest drives start at 37 dba. I won't buy a 80mm case fan that runs over 32dba. Drives can't be that loud.

I also like the SPCR review, though basically it just tells me to buy a Seagate. The only easily found hard drive on this list is a Maxtor. My experience has been that Western Digital is much quieter than Maxtor but maybe that has changed recently.

I have to say that I'm a bit confused because the two lists don't seem to match very well, besides both agreeing on Seagate. Also, I was hoping to see more drives around the 60 gb range.
You read only half of what the rating is based on. They put their test equipment at very close distance since measuring 25db or lower is very inaccuarate or cost whole lot of money. It is not typical 1 meter they test on. (or 2-3 meters considering some manufactures claim of their PSU or Fan specs)

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:29 pm

my old maxtor is a annoyin bitch :\
gonna try a silent drive i got 2nd hand :D