Optical Drive

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

majax79

Optical Drive

Post by majax79 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:04 am

Hello all,

I'm working on building my PC and now I'm at optical drive. Specifically, I need an internal DVD burner. However, I have no need for blu-ray capabilities.

The two major brands I'm seeing as available are Lite-On and Asus.

Could someone please recommend a specific (model number) optical drive which they feel is quiet and reliable?

Thanks.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Re: Optical Drive

Post by andyb » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:34 am

As a general rule there seems to be a great deal of variation from sample to sample and also from model to model when it comes to Optical Drives.

The only brand that seems to consistently do well with regards to noise is "Pioneer" but they are not easy to find any more.

Personally I only use LG drives unless I have no other choice as they seem to be decent in all areas including noise, but no optical drive is truly "silent" due to the fact taht they all attempt to spin at maximum speed whenever possible (52x CD spin speed). Your results may vary, good luck, and please post your results when you get a drive, the more collective knowledge the better this forum becomes.

Andy

Irrelevant

Post by Irrelevant » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:51 pm

I haven't even noticed that much of a pattern. It sounds like andyb is more experienced than I, so take my opinion with salt, but the only patterns I've noticed are that generics are almost always loud and brand-name drives targeted at film viewers are usually quieter.

Even the quietest drives I've heard have been really loud, though. Maybe I should see if I could build some kind of noise-proof box ....

yefi

Post by yefi » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:20 pm

majax79 wrote:The two major brands I'm seeing as available are Lite-On and Asus.

Could someone please recommend a specific (model number) optical drive which they feel is quiet and reliable?

Thanks.
I'm pretty sure all the Asus drives are re-badges. For example, the 24B3ST on Amazon atm is actually a LiteOn iHas 124.

As for the iHas 124, I can tell you that it's quieter than the Sony Optiarc 7240S/7280S. The Optiarcs are like old hoovers.