Mt. Rainier CDRW drives?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bat

Mt. Rainier CDRW drives?

Post by Bat » Sun Mar 23, 2003 4:39 pm

People here have said that the Yamaha F1 is not very quiet.
Does anyone have any other suggestions for a CDRW drive that supports Mount Rainier rewriting?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:50 am

48x Plextor. It even has a $20 rebate from Plextor right now. $85 + free shipping from Newegg minus the $20 rebate = $65 for a Plextor. Pretty hard to beat.

Edit: oops, just noticed you're in a Foriegn Land and Newegg won't ship to you. I'll leave the link up for someone else.

jamoore9
Friend of SPCR

Post by jamoore9 » Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:11 pm

LG Electronics GCE-8520B (BI is retail, BB is bulk).

52x24x52. Supports Mt. Rainier. Can't say that its quiet with a ton of confidence BUT I have the predecessor 48x GCE-8481BB (which I bought on the advice of MikeC) and it is a very quiet drive. Mine doesn't support native Mt. Rainier, but I use Easy CD Creator with DirectCD, so I don't need native Mt. Rainier support. If you're not married to the idea of Mt. Rainier, then I would suggest the 8481. Got mine in black from Essential Computers (http://www.essencompu.com) with Easy CD Creator Basic for $50 (I would spring for the Easy CD upgrade no matter what drive you get). Good luck! :D

Bat

Post by Bat » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:38 pm

What's DirectCD? Packet-writing mode access?
I'm not that interested in that software anyway, given that (presumably) it's only for MS operating systems.
Thankyou both for the hardware recommendations! That's useful.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:25 am

None of the modern 48x+ drives are silent. None. Repeat that. None.

You are trying to find the least noisy drive and in my personal opinion (having tried Plextor, Yamaha, LiteOn, Samsung, LG and couple of others) the best ones are usually LG and Samsung.

But they are NOT silent by the normal SilentPC measure. If you have a silent computer, these babies will sound like a jet engine starting when they spin up.

Oh yes, I currently have LG 4480B combo which also supports Mt Rainier. It's not silent, but the least noisy I've been able to find. It also has very good writing quality on TDK, Acer, Mitsubishi and TY media.

regards,
Halcyon

Bat

Post by Bat » Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:04 pm

I suppose it's a compromise: a faster drive squashes the same amount of noise into less time, so it's louder while it lasts. (I know, I know, it's not really "the same amount" but it amused me to think of it this way.)