Experiment on Decoupled Hard Drive Cooling

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rpc180
*Lifetime Patron*

Experiment on Decoupled Hard Drive Cooling

Post by rpc180 » Sun Mar 30, 2003 10:57 pm

I wanted to get cooler hard drive temperatures while still keeping the drives decoupled.

Mounting them horizontally yeilded temperatures stable at 45 degrees (these are Seagate Baraccuda IVs 40gb).

A couple of articles have suggested that the top and sides of a hard drive generate less heat that the sides of a drive.

I then mounted them sideways, a-la Lian Li. and placed motherboard foam on small on one side only, minimizing the contact points. To balance out the drives I placed 3.5 -> 5.25 converters as a brace between the two drives to give them some stability.

Temperatures with the sideways mounted drives yield 38-41 degrees, the later only being seen on stress activities like divx encoding. (6 Degree Drop :shock: )

Well, any advice is appreciated, I'm still looking for a way to secure the drives to the case while still keeping them decoupled (I'm thinking a double silicon gel gasket or maybe a two pipe peice with a screw on section) Also, I don't think it'll be too damaging to the drives to keep them like this, though with Fluid Bearing, I was very suspicious... I checked the Seagate website but it confirmed that sideway mounting was safe. Any words will be appreciated.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:44 am

I see an easy way to cool off those two drives another 5°C+. Mount a 5-volted Panaflo L1A (either an 80mm or 92mm) to the front of the case. Cut out the grill first for less turbulence noise. At 5V you won't be able to hear the fan running but the little bit of airflow over the drives will really cool them down. That's exactly what I did to my cuda IV and it lowered the drives' temp by 6°C. Check the pics of my Quiet Server in the case gallery section.