HT DVD Drives (DVD-RW?)

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PretzelB

HT DVD Drives (DVD-RW?)

Post by PretzelB » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:29 am

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with using a PC for Home Theater (HTPC) and could recommend a DVD drive. I have experience with most other components but not DVD drives. I was considering getting a DVD RW but I think it would be too loud for DVD playing. I've read some posts about regular (RO) DVD players so I have some info to go on there but wanted to point out my goal of HT in case others have specific experience.

jrs91

Post by jrs91 » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:50 am

Actually, using a PC to drive a high quality display, you can get the same effect as a 5k+ video processor (or line doubler). I haven't yet built mine, but i'm in the process of doing the final research and i've got a lot of components selected.

I was just reading a silent pc article linked from the main site to techtv.com in which the reviewer mentioned he was using a sony dru-500ax dvd burner to play his DVDs and that it was essentially silent once it got spun-up. This is great news for me since it's the exact model I intended to buy, due to the fact that it's a 4x burner and can burn ALL dvd formats, unlike most burners who belong to one standards group or the other.

Td_nw

Post by Td_nw » Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:36 pm

jrs91 a question for you. After research, totally agree with you on the PC vs 5K in equipment.

I am waiting on my case to arrive for my HTPC (D8000 http://www.coolcases.com/cases/D8000_s-m_p2.html ) and have been gathering a list of my components. Can I ask what you have come up with for your components? Motherboard - CPU - Video Card - Sound Card - etc?

Thanks.

Td_nw

Post by Td_nw » Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:42 pm

Thanx. AVSforum. I have a lot of reading to do. 8)

Td_nw

Post by Td_nw » Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:02 pm

I just got back from cruzing the AVS forums. :? My head hurts. But I am very informed on how they are planning to split up the HTPC threads.

I think I had better work on my search abilities when it comes to that forum, but thanx again for the pointer.

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:59 am

Yea, I've been cruising the avsforum board for a while. Talk about information overload.

I had not heard about the Sony drive before. That would be great if it handled all the formats. I have enough to worry about without throwing DVD formats into the mix. The only the issue is that I have had very good success with my TDK drive and would like to stay loyal to tha bran.

dgouldin

Post by dgouldin » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:27 am

PretzelB wrote:would like to stay loyal to tha bran.
I agree. It's a great source of fiber, and we all know how important it is to stay regular!