Help me with some good and silent DVD+-RW.

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

LG is noisy

Post by LG is noisy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:47 am

Das_Saunamies wrote:Samsung 203B here. Sounds like it's trying to shred the disc if I boot into OS with one in, especially bad is Battlefield 2142. In XP it calms down via Nero DriveSpeed, but keeps spinning for two minutes which I can't seem to lower. Seeks are reasonable, more muted clunks than whine or sharp squeals. In the end nice, but rather annoying - and sometimes gets out of DriveSpeed's control and revs up to max speed.

On the plus side it is short, but in use it is annoying from time to time. I'd rather get a Pioneer (as Plextors aren't Plextors these days).
same here.

Darn it sucks big time... There HAS to be any solution to that plane-engine-taking-off sound every time we insert a CD/DVD or just browsing our computer files.

Any idea?

tutu

Post by tutu » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:54 am

I've moved my SATA drive to the JMicron controller (in IDE mode) on my Gigabyte and moved my HDDs to SATA-II/NCQ mode on the Intel.

I've updated the firmware on the LG to YL03.

Installed AnyDVD HD and PowerDVD 8 (upgraded from 7).

Now it would seem my LG is now quiet! I can hear it spin up when the disk is inserted or I goto a main menu on a DVD. But when I actually start playback of the movie, I hear the drive slow down.

So at the moment it seems to be working finally :D

walle

Post by walle » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:14 pm

halcyon wrote:
walle wrote:Purchase the unit you fancy (most are the very same under the shell anyways), install Nero Drive Speed…problem solved.
Had you actually bothered to read the whole thread, you would have noticed that most drives do NOT react to speed reductions commands given by Nero Drive Speed.

So, it's not a panacea :)
Most of the units I've used have worked just fine with Nero DriveSpeed, admittedly, I'm only one user amongst many. The program isn’t perfect; for instance, at times you need to restart it after boot up, firmware changes might be needed, to name but two. :)

That aside though; it was wrong to state it as a 100% solution to the problem then to dismiss your issues, it was sloppy; thank you for pointing it out.

Cheers

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:28 am

LG is noisy wrote:There HAS to be any solution to that plane-engine-taking-off sound every time we insert a CD/DVD or just browsing our computer files.

Any idea?
DriveSpeed is the only thing for all discs that are not recognised as DVD video by the drive. Firmware updates have not helped me.