It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 1.5TB disks for RAID 5 - WD15EARS vs Samsung HD154UI
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:06 pm 

Hi All,

I'm looking to improve a my storage array. Whilst I would love to get some WD Velociraptors, I can't justify the cost for the storage return.

1.5TB drives are about the best value disk at the moment, but of course performance and noise are both concerns. I am looking to build a 3 disk RAID 5 array, thus giving a total USABLE storage space of 3TB.

To do this I have been considering either the Western Digital WD15EARS Caviar Green, or the Samsung HD154UI Spinpoint F2 DT EcoGreen.

I have read a little but about getting the alignment of the partitions on the WD drives right, but with regard to noise I have also read that these are superior to the Samsung, even though the Samsung drives have NCQ. With regard to performance I have read good things about both, but does anyone have experience of either, or any other drives in this range.

Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:05 am 

I have read in another post on these forums that the 1.5TB Samsung may have a problem in a RAID array. I have been informed that the Samsung 1.5TB F3EG may be out soon, but I have yet to see these in the shops.

The fact the the WD has a 64MB cache and (again from these forums) subjectivity appears to be be quieter than the Samsung's, this looks like the way I will go. I heave read about partition alignment issues on the WD, bu I'm guessing that after the partitions have been set up they should be fine.