Velociraptor and P180

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

antifro

Velociraptor and P180

Post by antifro » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:28 am

Hi Folks,

Just got my 2 Velociraptors. Now I need advice with how to mount them without using the ice pack. The SPCR was dead on about the ice pack adding to noise of the drives. To be more specific, what I'm looking for is something I can buy fro a 2.5" drive that will kill noise and vibration, allow me to mount to a 3.5" enclosure in my P180, and at the same time let my fan cool it.

I cant really find the product recommended in the review. Anyone have any experienec with the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817984003

I'm afraid that the velociraptor might be too thick for it.

Xuestor

Post by Xuestor » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:12 am

Yes, the Velociraptor will not fit in the Scythe Quiet Drive. But it's great for bringing down the noiselevel of the drive, so what I did was to skip one of the aluminumbricks, and one of the thermalpads, and Voila!, you will have a tight fit in the Scythe. You can use both aluminum bricks if you'd like, but you won't be able to screw them together, cause of the thickness of the Velociraptor.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:15 am

My recommendation is to simply use clothing elastic to suspend them (vertically) in the bottom 3.5" cage. It's really easy to do using the existing mounting holes. (Or if you prefer, drill holes on the sides of the cage to suspend them horizontally. But that's not necessary.) Then if you find they're still too noisy for you, line the cage with some damping material, and perhaps the entire bottom chamber, as much as possible.

The beauty of 2.5" drives is that they can be so easily suspended in 3.5" drive bays where there's already some useful airflow, and nothing else needs to be modified.

antifro

Post by antifro » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:19 am

Tried suspending them yesterday with fishing line... BAD idea. Looked ugly but even worse with noise, it sounded like a strummed bass chord.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll try suspending first, but if it will resemble the crap job I did before, I'll get something pre-made.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:16 pm

antifro wrote:Tried suspending them yesterday with fishing line... BAD idea. Looked ugly but even worse with noise, it sounded like a strummed bass chord.
Fishing line is NOT elastic. It does resemble very thin nylon guitar string, so no surprise that it twanged. :lol: :lol:

It is a super simple mod. Just go have a look at my original -- http://www.silentpcreview.com/article8-page2.html

and all the ones in this thread -- HDD Elastic Suspension... Show your pics!

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:30 pm

antifro wrote:Tried suspending them yesterday with fishing line... BAD idea. Looked ugly but even worse with noise, it sounded like a strummed bass chord.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll try suspending first, but if it will resemble the crap job I did before, I'll get something pre-made.
Yeah that's pretty much a banjo...

You need something strechy to keep the line from becoming taut and creating the "boing" sound of a guitar string. If it makes vibrations, it's going to transmit them as well. Any supermarket with a sewing section will have clothing elastic (elastic cord works best) that you can use.