HOW-TO: Boot Linux into RAM for silence and speed

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

goddamn

Post by goddamn » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:06 am

miernik wrote: I would like to make changes while running the RAMbooted image, and then save the image to a new permanent image on flash (in case power goes down or something) but without any need to reboot. Will that work?

And I don't need, nor want to delete anything from my installed standard Debian system, as I have 10 GB of RAM, more than the flash stick on which I installed Debian (2 GB).
read my howto. "Boot linux to ram with rsync". This describes a solution you might consider.

solo16

Re: HOW-TO: Boot Linux into RAM for silence and speed

Post by solo16 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:10 pm

Hi guys,
apologize for digging up this old thread, but i need some help here.
i've been followed the steps and got an error when boot to the "ramboot" the error msg is saying something like file not found you need to load your kernel first.this is what i've done but not sure if i'm on the right track or not.

in the fstab i comment out the default root partition and changed to following:
none / tmpfs defaults 0 0
i'm just wondering shouldn't i add the uuid or /dev/sda before that line??
on the /scripts/local just after the ##FIXME## line i got some "commands" / "scripts" i guess it's about the loop back device or procedure. so i comment out just the original rootmnt as descripted in the guide and added those scripts shown on the guide. Question, should i comment out everything and just add those "new rootmnt" here?

Btw, i'm using ubuntu minimal install 10.04 + rt kernel from tango studio + serial console.

thx for the help!!!