Regarding Samsung Drives

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Liquidated

Regarding Samsung Drives

Post by Liquidated » Thu May 29, 2003 11:17 pm

Well looks like seagate is behind the 8-ball having lost the acoustic management features that helped make the venerable IV so quiet. With the Cudda getting long in the tooth and short in the platter, adding multiple drives isn't going to help noise or heat.

So onward to greener pastures I guess, depending how important storage/performance is.

Seems after MikeC's great artcle on Samsung vs. IBM vs. AAM enabled Seagate IV, Samsungs run faily quiet and relatively cool while increasing performance and capacity to 80 GB per platter. This seems ideal for the so called ultra-quiet case geeks that haunt this site.

So hello Samsung?

um wherever Samsung may be?

.. .. ..

So yeah, where the heck are these new Samsung P80's with the 80 gig platters and 8 meg cache and where are the serial versions?

While googling for info on where to send my money, I came upon this press release that happened april 15th 2003 in Moscow(!). It's worth the entire read.
Besides, all [current up to p80 models] use hydrodynamic bearings, support NoiseGuard and SilentSeek noise reduction technologies, and ImpactGuard shock-proof technology. The company affirms that they were first to launch hard drives with the record density of 80 GB per platter. We'll soon test some models of these lines, but right now I can say only that the products look good. The range of drive sizes is very wide - you can find even 20 GB models. Everything is done to cater for all tastes.

But what's going to be tomorrow?

Soon they will launch the P80 line of 120 and 160 GB with SATA interface. But, as far as I understand, the drives will use an adapter for this interface instead of an original controller.

For Q3 the company plans on the P120/V120 lines of 120GB per platter, 8MB buffer and Ultra ATA/133 and SATA interfaces. The P160/V160/PL80 lines of 160 GB per platter will be rolled out in Q4 of 2004. In general, the prospects are promising. Let's consider Samsung's drives will perform well.

Now why a Russian site has a page entirely in english is beyond me but lets break that down...

Samsung plans to release 120 meg capacity platters in Q3 of this year. These drives will come in a slower (5400rpm?) and faster (7200prm?) spindle speed, 8mb caches and will support ata133 as well as SATA.

now this begs a few comments....
Samsung seems to be actively trying to keep noise down in all their models.

With the sp120 series will they keep the 5400 line or will the new low end be 7200 with the higher end being, well, higher?

Is 8mb cache becoming standard?

If the sp p80 and v80 series are supposed to be out now and this hard to find, what does this bode for the Q3 release of SP P120?

and most importantly...
120gb for a single platter is something to drool over. I mean if it's as quiet as the p80's that's enough capacity for anyone not doing video at home?

Anyway, still rooting about for info but that one just had me put the wallet back in my pocket. I can handle the noise of my IBM 60gb gxp125 waiting on the 120gig single platter serials to come out.

Cheers!
-Liq

Yomat

Post by Yomat » Fri May 30, 2003 10:22 am

Hehe. Seems my blabbler about these drives goes unnoticed. http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=4928
There are some P80 and V80 variants available around here. As you said the V80 are budget and quite cheap per Gb compared to others.

But it seems like Samsung is more interested in having their HDs in brand PCs than distributing them separately. Samsung has got exactly what they need (long warranty, shock protection, noise level, heat level, price level) so I guess they will do a slam dunk in the lowend PCs. Doesent have to worry about us freaks to make the buck. :P

120Gb platter versions everybodys gonna get eventually. Actually Samsung are quite late with their 80 platters so why would they be early with 120 variants? Wouldent sit around and wait for that. Seems rather pointless.

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Fri May 30, 2003 10:52 am

buy a drive now:)
me 7200.7 has no idle whine most of the time, intermentient and very quiet if its there so :P

Yomat

Post by Yomat » Sat May 31, 2003 4:47 pm

pingu666: I'd like to buy one now.. but I would really like a head to head test between Samsung and 7200.7 before I decide. And from the specs it also seems that 40 Gb 7200.7 is much quieter from the rest. Havent seen anyone say anything specific about that one either.

I'll see if I can set up some sort of test. I'll talk to my local dealer (we actually have two here that are noise interested) and see if something can be done. I just need a couple of hours with those babies (I rather have a couple of hours alone with Jennifer Connelly but those drives aint bad either 8) ) and then I can tell the world about the truth.

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:03 am

well the 7200.7 i have is very quiet, others simply cant be much better cos well theres not much more room to improve :)
u can hear the seaks tho but that dont bother me much:)

Yomat

Post by Yomat » Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:07 pm

Well.. I'd like to believe that is true pingu. But I'm quite sensetive to whine. MikeC seems to think the Samsung has less whine than the cudaIV, even. And that was the 2 platter 7200. I cant imagine the whine of a one platter 5400 of the same technology can be higher either.

Although the 7200.7 has lower spec noise than the Samsung.. but we all know how little sense company specs are. The 7200.7 also is faster. So its a tradeoff one have to consider. The big difference is in transfer speed and it is not that important to me though. The work I do that needs speed is compilation so I need mostly good seek time and a big cache helps too.

Thornogson

Post by Thornogson » Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:00 am

I have to agree with Pingu...

I've just bought a 'cuda 80Gb 7200.7 to replace an expired 40gb IBM Deathstar 60GXP. I'm a newbie to this forum, and it helped me a lot in making up my mind.

I'm impressed with how quiet the 7200.7 is, even though it's sitting in a standard internal 3.5" bay. Although I've got a few 80mm fans in my case, all are low noise, and I would be able to hear any HD whine if it were there. The seek noise was only just audible with the case open. My other drive is a surviving 80gb IBM 120GXP and that's now in a SilentDrive box, so basically there's no hard drive noise at all now... great :-)

John

chiahaochang
Patron of SPCR

Post by chiahaochang » Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:05 pm

I have a 160GB 7200.7 8MB cache SATA. It's noisier than the Barracuda IV I had, but the 7200.7 is still pretty quiet. I don't hear any spindle whine under normal conditions, I can faintly hear it when I take off the side panels and when I'm working in the PC.
I have the HD suspended and can occassionaly hear seeks. It's a good drive. Quiet and much faster than the IV was.

Liquidated

well

Post by Liquidated » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:40 pm

it's not like I'm twisting my arm not upgrading... I have a 60gb ibm gxp 120 and I'm using like only 20gb.. that's mainly my cd collection I could easily offload onto cd-r.

I can wait for the new sata samsungs without pain.

Cheers!
-Liq