Copper Smart Drive 2002 - where to buy?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Copper Smart Drive 2002 - where to buy?

Post by halcyon » Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:10 am

I don't have access to metal working tools. I'm ready to shell out the bucks for Smart Drives if I can find them for a good price.

Apparently there is a copper version of Smart Drive 2002 for sale in Japan.

Does anyone know of a European or American reseller for this?

regards,
halcyon

Td_nw

Post by Td_nw » Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:34 pm

Not to my knowledge. I have not seen the copper version online anywhere.

sgtpokey
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sgtpokey » Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:18 pm

ACtually there was another thread a while ago about this, I actually contacted User Side (A Japanese computer retailer in California, who also happens to be Grow Up Japan's distributor) about the copper version of the Smart Drive 2002.

Their email reply (sorry don't have it anymore) basically said, in limited English: We don't make/stock these anymore, we suggest you buy the Smart Drive 2002 (Alum) It is our newest model and is much quieter and cooler.

So User Side, at least, doesn't think the copper version is better than the aluminum one.

I myself have had an aluminum SD 2002 for about a year and am still pleased with it.

Td_nw

Post by Td_nw » Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:16 pm

The copper versions are also disappearing from the store shelves. :( Everywhere I have checked recently they are only stocking the new ones.

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:09 pm

I am under the impression that, in the future, the copper version is only planned for very limited, and infrequent, special production batches. The copper version is the absolute top-of-the-line model - but using pure copper significantly increases material/manufacturing costs and thus requires a higher market price (compared to aluminum). The silent PC community is still a very small market sector at this time, making it difficult for the manufacturer to justify continuing large volume production of the copper version.

When you can find them, the copper model is denser and does actually provide even better sound insulation and heat dissipation than the aluminum version. However, the new aluminum version still works exceptionally well in these respects too - nearly as effective as the copper version, but at a much more reasonable price for the consumer. The difference in effectiveness between copper vs aluminum is not huge in my opinion, and is a very fair trade-off for the reduced market price. Since my own personal stock of the copper version is fast running out, I will soon be switching to using the new aluminum Smart Drive 2002 model exclusively.

8)

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:58 am

Thanks for the info guys! Very helpful.

I'll be looking for the Alu version then.