Which antivibration for a seagate buraccuda V

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sorenbro

Which antivibration for a seagate buraccuda V

Post by sorenbro » Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:31 pm

I'm looking for a way to remove the vibration from my harddrive, and I have found two different antivibration systems, but I have no experience with either of them, so I was wondering if any one have.

The first one is the well know noise control NoVibes:
http://www.bsmultimedia.dk/info.php?id=22

The second one in question is a Smartcooler smartVIB 1 smartVIB 2
http://www.studiedata.dk/product.asp?pr ... 096&page=1
http://www.studiedata.dk/product.asp?pr ... 097&page=1

The only difference between the VIB 1 and VIB 2 is that the VIB 2 can mount two harddrives.

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:40 pm

no vibes maybe better more shock absortion length

Colli1

Post by Colli1 » Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:40 am

Silentdrive is very quiet (7200 rmp harddrive van WD)

You can buy it at http://www.pcsilent.de/en/index.asp

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:13 am

all pap for cooling tho :\

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:24 am

Colli1 wrote:Silentdrive is very quiet (7200 rmp harddrive van WD)
Be careful with the silent drive. The quote below is pulled from the bottom of the Recommended Harddrives page on the main site.
MikeC wrote:Frankly, this product is here so that we can caution you about it. While providing some noise reduction, it is known to overheat drives. The manufacturer warns about use against 7200 RPM hard drives, yet one reads ongoing accounts of users damaging their 7200 RPM drives in the Silent Drive. We would only use it with 5400 RPM drives and keep an eye on drive temps. Design and construction quality are not great. Dec/02.

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:28 am

sorenbro wrote:I'm looking for a way to remove the vibration from my harddrive, and I have found two different antivibration systems, but I have no experience with either of them, so I was wondering if any one have.

The first one is the well know noise control NoVibes:
http://www.bsmultimedia.dk/info.php?id=22
Try searching the forums for NoVibes. Quite a few folks use them or a DIY substitute (also, see the articles in the Storage Section of the main site.)

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:29 am

Colli1

Post by Colli1 » Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:03 pm

aphonos wrote:
Colli1 wrote:Silentdrive is very quiet (7200 rmp harddrive van WD)
Be careful with the silent drive. The quote below is pulled from the bottom of the Recommended Harddrives page on the main site.
MikeC wrote:Frankly, this product is here so that we can caution you about it. While providing some noise reduction, it is known to overheat drives. The manufacturer warns about use against 7200 RPM hard drives, yet one reads ongoing accounts of users damaging their 7200 RPM drives in the Silent Drive. We would only use it with 5400 RPM drives and keep an eye on drive temps. Design and construction quality are not great. Dec/02.
Built quality isn't great, that's true

And there are some hd's that get to hot in silentdrive, but that's why you first have to test it. There are some strips added that show the temperature. If its stays below 55°C , everything is all right.

My drives get to 54°C (monitored with probe).

How long does it take to brake down a harddisk with temp's above 55°C? Does anyone know?

grandpa_boris

Post by grandpa_boris » Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:08 pm

even if silentdrive worked for my seagate 7200.7, it wouldn't fit into my fanles system's box, the infamous casetronic 2699:
[img]http://www.caseoutlet.com/NWPc/2699-VIA ... d1-600.jpg[/img]
(mine is an M6000 motherboard, so there is no fan on the CPU, and the two 40mm fans in the upper right corner are not plugged in). there's simply not enough space in the drive bay to allow anything larger than the 3.5" drive itself to be inserted. it's a tight fit.

this thing isn't silent: i am able to feel the disk's vibration (touch the case, feel it vibrate) and hear it spinning (put the ear close enough to the enclosure, and i hear the whirr of the drive -- no high frequency whine, thankfully). but the other problem for me is the two-edged sword of (nearly) silent vs. hot. the drive is running at 54'C. this is just barely within seagate's 60'C spec. even with the quietest 40mm fan, i'll be adding dB to the system.

i had considered rigging the smaller zalman vga coolers to the drive, there should be enough space above the drive, where the thin-profile floppy drive's bay is. but even if i can figure out how to attach one of these things to the drive, i suspec the problem is that there is simply not enough circulation in the case. it's sitting vertically, with the CPU and the chipset, with their heatsinks, at the bottom, and the drive at the top. that keeps the CPU @ 37'C, but the air heated up by the CPU now gets the disk drive warmer than i feel comfortable with.

other than adding a 40mm fan (papst has one that is rated at 18 dB and 40mm is just about the only thing that will fit in this case) and/or flipping the case and having the drive heat the CPU instead, anyone have any other suggestion? what about vibration dampening?

grandpa_boris

Post by grandpa_boris » Sat Jun 07, 2003 3:17 pm

[quote="grandpa_boris"]... the drive is running at 54'C ...CPU @ 37'C, ... flipping the case and having the drive heat the CPU instead[/quote]

after posting this, i flipped the case. i also took out the panel cover for the floppy drive, to allow more air flow past the disk drive. the temperatures now are 55'C for the CPU (idling, running win2k with a few monitoring programs active) and 47'C for the drive. not an exact reversal, but close.

VIA spec says the junction temperature can go up to 90'C. 55'C within tolerances, i know that the temperature can spike by 30'C if the chip is asked to do just about anything taxing. so this isn't great. still looking for suggestions...

ruprag

Post by ruprag » Sat Jun 07, 2003 5:03 pm

also to get rid of vibration, can you use rubber washers or some such?? or is there a way to place the drive on the bottom with some "sponge" underneath ?

grandpa_boris

Post by grandpa_boris » Sat Jun 07, 2003 7:51 pm

[quote="Radeonman"] 80mm fans and some larger (larger for the cpu) heatsinks [/quote]

the case is extremely small (11 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 10 3/4") and will not accomodate a standard axial 80mm fan. same goes for the larger heatsink. i hadn't considered prying off the standard heatsink that VIA places on the CPU on EPIA M6000 -- don't know if it's easy to do. but there is so little room in the case that a larger standard heatsink will simply not fit there.

[quote="Radeonman"] and knowing how sensitive information is (after losing a HD a week or two ago), you want yours to last.[/quote]

this machine doesn't have anything irreplacible on it. it's a voice and text messaging system with a nearly stock install of win2k. losing a drive would be very inconvenient, but not disasterous. i can perhaps put in a 40 mm fan with a zalman fanmate and down-volt it a bit, making it quieter, but it will nolonger be a silent, fanless machine.

grandpa_boris

Post by grandpa_boris » Sat Jun 07, 2003 9:46 pm

[quote="ruprag"]also to get rid of vibration, can you use rubber washers or some such?? or is there a way to place the drive on the bottom with some "sponge" underneath ?[/quote]

i don't know if there is enough space there. on either side of the drive, it's a very tight fit into the "cage". but there isn't much of a contact between the top and bottom surfaces of the disk and the metal. i will look into squeezing rubber washers on the sides.