More samsung: CDR

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mirar

More samsung: CDR

Post by Mirar » Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:31 am

Since my now old Plextor can't seem to write more then 700Mb CDs (I'm going to see if I can upgrade the firmwere, but my hopes are low and the CDR is slow - 16x), I was looking into getting a new. Gosh, are those cheap today? :mrgreen: (I paid $250 for the plextor.)

I was looking into getting the 52/24/52 Samsung (SW-252B). Samsung seem to have a good silent thinking, but I haven't tried them. Anyone here that has? Or can recommend something else?

Also, I can't seem to find any information if they can write 800Mb+ CD's, can I just assume all modern drives can?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:50 am

a review -- says it quiet -- don't know about 800mb...
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm? ... 063&page=3

mudboy

Post by mudboy » Sat Jun 21, 2003 4:35 am

I have an SM-348 and it's a great, and very quiet, drive.

Pete

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Jun 21, 2003 4:40 am

For info on over 700MB compatible burners check out the forums at CDFreaks, CDRInfo, or CDRLabs. Or check out the hardware reviews on those sites. They're the best source for info on all things about recordable CDs.

modman
Location: A land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas.

Post by modman » Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:17 am

mudboy wrote:I have an SM-348 and it's a great, and very quiet, drive.
I have both the SM-348 and the SM-352. I agree these are great drives, but they are not quiet at all; perhaps they are compared to other fast drives.

Regarding the reviews of the SM-348, the latest firmware adds Mt. Rainier support.

modman
Location: A land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas.

Re: More samsung: CDR

Post by modman » Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:54 am

Mirar wrote:Since my now old Plextor can't seem to write more then 700Mb CDs (I'm going to see if I can upgrade the firmwere, but my hopes are low and the CDR is slow - 16x), I was looking into getting a new. Gosh, are those cheap today? :mrgreen: (I paid $250 for the plextor.)

I was looking into getting the 52/24/52 Samsung (SW-252B). Samsung seem to have a good silent thinking, but I haven't tried them. Anyone here that has? Or can recommend something else?

I believe it uses the same mechanism as their (SM-348, SM-352) combo drives, which I have. These are not quiet. At higher speeds they sound like a little jet taking off. Not for an HTPC like I had planed on using them. I like the performance of the Samsung, but not the noise.

I also have the Plextor Premium. The quietest by far. It has a ruberized seal around the tray to keep noise down, and the PlexTools software allows configuring--including noise levels--to your heart's content. Not cheap at around $120. The latest firmware fixes minor performance issues mentioned in the review ar cdrlabs.

EDIT: Regarding reviews, don't be too concerned with having the fastest drive out there, concentrate more on quality and CPU usage levels instead. Unfortunately, noise is usually ignored by reviewers.