Samsung HM020Gi Xbox HDD in PC

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Maccer

Samsung HM020Gi Xbox HDD in PC

Post by Maccer » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:12 pm

I was thinking of using a Samsung 2.5" SATA 20gb Xbox HDD in a HTPC running Ubuntu 9.04, would this disk be too slow due to its small capacity? I was considering it as a cheap option.

I don't need much storage space on the disk as I'll stream the media from my NAS and an Ubuntu install usually takes up less than 5gb.

Thanks

Maccer

Post by Maccer » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:09 pm

Okay 47 views and nothing

What I'm wondering is the platter density very low therefore the drive is slow? I'm finding it difficult to get any specs on this drive as its from an Xbox 360

ellenthy

Post by ellenthy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 pm

How do I pack my Xbox 360 to send to microsoft for repairs? I have been through the process of reporting the hardware problem on my Xbox 360 (3 flashing red lights). I am waiting for Microsoft to send me the shipping label.
But how do I send it to them? I know I need to remove all accessories (hard drive, power supply etc.) & game. Do I just send it back in its original box?
Last edited by ellenthy on Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

SleepyBum

Post by SleepyBum » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:39 am

Maccer wrote:Okay 47 views and nothing

What I'm wondering is the platter density very low therefore the drive is slow? I'm finding it difficult to get any specs on this drive as its from an Xbox 360
Looks like that drive is from the Samsung M40S Series:

http://files.hddguru.com/download/Datas ... _REV00.pdf
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/ ... t_r1.2.pdf

Based on 40GB platters. So the 20GB version you have is a 1 head/1 platter.

I don't know why you're concerned if it's slow. It's for a HTPC. You shouldn't be loading and running a ton of programs on it. It should be just for the OS and your media player. The only thing that might make it slow is those superfetech/indexing services that'll trash a HD, so it's best to turn those off. But since you're planning on using Ubuntu and not Windows, it shouldn't be any problems at all.

Anyways, I plan to use a left over 80GB 5400rpm Fujitsu laptop HD I have from my laptop replacement as the OS drive for the HTPC I'm planning to build. I have a 1TB and a 1.5TB for media storage. If SSD prices come down some more, might replace the OS drive with one. I care about silence, don't really care about speed at all.

Maccer

Post by Maccer » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:16 am

In the end I managed to get 2 second hand Fujitsu 40gb SATA 2.5" HDDs for £16 on ebay (I plan to build a 2nd HTPC soon) drive is very quiet cannot hear it at all above the CPU fan (Zalman 9500AT), I suspended it in a 3.5" bay using Bungie cord.

Quite right I'm not exactly using the PC for anything strenuous and the boot time does'nt seem any longer than when I used a WD 250gb 3.5" drive (now a storage drive in my main rig)