Maxtor Diamondmax 16

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

p'jem

Maxtor Diamondmax 16

Post by p'jem » Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:33 am

A few months ago, my PC contained an IBM Deskstar GXP 60. And it was loud. :( I thought that buying a Silentdrive would help :oops: Unfortunately it didn't get rid of enough noise, and the thought of making it any hotter frightened me, so I whipped it out of there in about five minutes.

So I began scouring hdd manufacturers datasheets, trying to find a drive that

1) had 80gb capacity
2) was as quiet as possible
3) had the lowest possible heat dissipation (I still hoped to be able to find a use for this Silentdrive)

What I came up with was the Maxtor Diamondmax 16 4R080L0.
This is an 80Gb, single-platter model, turning at just 5,400RPM.
The 4R080L0 model features fluid dynamic bearings, as opposed to the 4R080J0 with ball bearings.

According to datasheets, the Diamondmax 16 range consume about 5.5Watt when idle, with the fluid bearing models outputting 2.5Bels when idle and 3.6 when seeking. Hopefully this single platter model would do a little better than that.

When I finally received this drive, I found that it was indeed very quiet when idle. In fact it cannot be heard above the fan of my QuietPC 300W Power Supply at minimum speed.

I was however, a little disturbed by the seek noise, which was clearly audible, though much quieter than my old IBM drive. Fortunately, I discovered that no "seeks" are audible when playing back a Divx or running a PTP file transfer program overnight. The drive is only audible when loading programs or copying large files.

The metal chassis of the drive never really feels warm to the touch, but the controller chip isn't something you like to leave your finger on for long periods. In the end though, there was no point mounting it in the Silentdrive when the only noise source I can now hear is my "QuietPC" power supply (when the central heating system isn't running!).

I also think my whole reasoning that a single-platter model would better tolerate living in a Silentdrive was flawed. Yes, this may have reduced the heat build-up, but the super-high areal density also must make for very fine tolerances, one hard drive you certainly want to treat with kid gloves, no?

And finally, to performance. How much did I loose by dropping back to 5,400 RPM? A couple of runs of SiSoft Sandra in fact showed that this drive was a good bit faster than the IBM Deskstar!

Unfortunately the Deskstar joined the great IBM retirement home in the sky shortly after this point, so I am unable to provide any figures.

So why not just get a Barracuda w/Sea Shield?
Er dunno, good question. :?

Think I'll get myself one of those too so I'll have something to compare with!

al bundy

Re: Maxtor Diamondmax 16

Post by al bundy » Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:56 pm

p'jem wrote:...I began scouring hdd manufacturers datasheets, trying to find a drive that

1) had 80gb capacity
2) was as quiet as possible
3) had the lowest possible heat dissipation (I still hoped to be able to find a use for this Silentdrive)

What I came up with was the Maxtor Diamondmax 16 4R080L0.
This is an 80Gb, single-platter model, turning at just 5,400RPM.
The 4R080L0 model features fluid dynamic bearings...

...In the end though, there was no point mounting it in the Silentdrive when the only noise source I can now hear is my "QuietPC" power supply...

...How much did I loose by dropping back to 5,400 RPM? A couple of runs of SiSoft Sandra in fact showed that this drive was a good bit faster than the IBM Deskstar!...
You made a good choice for high performance, low noise and SilentDrive compatibility in my opinion.

You might want to keep that SilentDrive too, since you'll want to use it with that Maxtor drive soon if you eventually find an even quieter power supply!

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for the post.

8)

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Re: Maxtor Diamondmax 16

Post by Jan Kivar » Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:31 pm

p'jem wrote:I was however, a little disturbed by the seek noise, which was clearly audible, though much quieter than my old IBM drive. Fortunately, I discovered that no "seeks" are audible when playing back a Divx or running a PTP file transfer program overnight. The drive is only audible when loading programs or copying large files.
You should enable the AAM feature, if such an option is available for your drive. It will slow the seeks a bit. Search the Storage forum, You should be able to enable AAM with Hitachi/IBM Feature Tool.

Cheers,

Jan

p'jem

Post by p'jem » Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:52 am

Thanks for the tips folks.
I've been excavating my bedroom and found the scrap of paper I scribbled my SISOFT Sandra results on :
IBM Deskstar 60GXP 40Gb 23,393
Maxtor Diamondmax 16 80Gb 25,639

I'm thinking of getting another one of these - I did a swap with my housemate about a week ago because she'd outgrown her 40gb Western Digital Portege - and I'm missing it already. Idle noise couldnt be heard above the PSU at minumum fan speed - that's with all other fans on the system disconnected.

When running Peer-to-Peer apps the IBM desktar used to make seek noises - a regular ticking sound over the top of the dentist drill whine. With this drive Peer-to-Peer SW doesn't seem to generate enough activity (not on my connection anyway!) to make seek noises.

The biggest problem is that the only Insight seem to sell them in the UK, and their prices aren't very competitive - £69.31 + £5 shipping is quite a lot for an 80gb drive.

JimK

Post by JimK » Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:45 am

Maxtor also has their own AMSET acoustic management utility available at their website.

I use it with my Diamondmax +8 HDD. I think the list of drive families that it is usable with is out of date, others have also used it with DM+9 drives.

p'jem

Post by p'jem » Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:14 am

Cheers JIMK,

AMSET works! Brings the SANDRA bench down to around 12,100 though. Think I'd rather keep the drive in performance mode, as the seeks are only audible when the PC's working hard anyway.

The maxtor is now in my second pc. This weekend I replaced it's PSU for a Fortron 300W with 120mm fan, then modded it to cut the fan back to 3.1Volt. This made the HDD became audible again so I put it in the SilentDrive.

With room temps are 25deg C, Aida32 reports a SMART temp of 39degrees. Think that's OK?

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:39 am

p'jem wrote:...The maxtor is now in my second pc. This weekend I replaced it's PSU for a Fortron 300W with 120mm fan, then modded it to cut the fan back to 3.1Volt. This made the HDD became audible again so I put it in the SilentDrive.

With room temps are 25deg C, Aida32 reports a SMART temp of 39degrees. Think that's OK?
Yes that is a very good temp. How did the SilentDrive work out with this 5400rpm drive? I'm guessing the combo of 5400rpm hard drive and SilentDrive enclosure must be virtually inaudible, yes?

8)

p'jem

Post by p'jem » Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:00 am

That PC is now inaudible during the daytime (ambient noise levels too high, damn neighbours!). At night the only sound I can identify is from the 120mm fan at 3.1V - about as noisy as my VCR basically.

My main rig has got some catching up to do...