Suspended my HDD's... but it's not enough!

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

AK_0

Suspended my HDD's... but it's not enough!

Post by AK_0 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:01 pm

For some considerable time now I have been thinking that my pc is too noisy. It was built to be quiet but I never got round to suspending the HDD's. Today I spent an hour and a half carefully doing so with bungee cord.

Virtually no difference!

The fans are totally inaudible, a couple of scythe kaze jyuni slipstreams at 600rpm and a nexus at 600 rpm. That and a 520W corsair psu fan. Have tried turning them all off and the noise level is identical, it's all the HDD's.

So what options do I have? I can't afford SSD's. My case is a p182, but I have no damping or insulation. I'm thinking either purchase some acoustipack and/or put the HDD's into some silencing boxes - although I wouldn't be sure which to buy.

Anyone able to provide some thoughts/recommendations? Would be much appreciated.

ces

Re: Suspended my HDD's... but it's not enough!

Post by ces » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:23 pm

AK_0 wrote:. My case is a p182, but I have no damping or insulation. I'm thinking either purchase some acoustipack and/or put the HDD's into some silencing boxes - although I wouldn't be sure which to buy.
1. Check out the price of low end SSDs and compare them to the cost of silencing boxes (hot silencing boxes that is).

2. You are saying it is a noise, but it must not be seek noise or you wouldn't have had any trouble identifying it. Are you sure it isn't some coil noise somewhere. Look around the forum, there is some info on this subject somewhere.

3. What kind of hard drives are you using?

4. Get a long esata cord and put the drives some place far away.

AK_0

Post by AK_0 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:41 pm

Well silencing boxes are far far cheaper. Concerned about temperature though.

The noise is a gentle whirring (the sound of the drives spinning) which goes when the drive is turned off (how I confirmed it was the HDD). It is by no means "loud" but the PC is not silent because of it. I'm aware of coil noise having had that issue within my old pc, not present here.

Should probably have mentioned what HDD's they are, 2 dual platter WD 6400 AAKS and one of the old samsung 1TB F1 spinpoint drives.

Think I'll try the cheapest option first, some damping/sound insulation materials, and see what the results are.

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:44 pm

Have you determine which units are noisy? The Samsungs are usually near silent when suspended.

bozar

Post by bozar » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:21 am

Buy a silencing box and suspend it in the lower chamber, that's what I did. My LP was so quiet I didn't hear the difference though so I just suspended it in the 5.25 cage.

Suspending a silencing box is tricky but well worth it, an alternative option is to lay it on a thick layer of foam.

psyopper
Friend of SPCR

Post by psyopper » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:13 am

My AAKS is also noisier than I had hoped it would be judging by most online reviews (SPCR included).

Mine is suspended in the upper bay of a 3480. I effectively killed the sound with some Acoustipack wrapped around it on the outside of the bay (single layer of the thick material) and the rear of the drive bay cover (double layer of the thick material).

If you are buying Acoustipack to do this you should be fine buying the single sheet, a little bit of the stuff goes a lot further than you may realize.