Which BluRay combo drive of these two?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

lapino

Which BluRay combo drive of these two?

Post by lapino » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:16 am

I need a Bluray drive for my HTPC which also writes DVDs. My supplier suggested the following two models. My main concern is noise, they need to be as quiet as possible, I hate spinning disc sounds etc. So which one would be the best?

SAMSUNG SH-B123L

or

LG CH10LS20 (also known as UH10LS20)

Thx in advance!

themaster1

Re: Which BluRay combo drive of these two?

Post by themaster1 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:15 pm

I have the Samsung SH-B083 which is of the same design than B123L as far as i can tell. It was ranked among the best combos for writing/playing speeds and price about 6 months ago.It's a good drive but like most newest optical drives it spin the dvd/blu ray at full speed so you will need a software to reduce the speed (nero drive speed or else). Works well on my Comp'.The front panel is nice and shinny but easily scratchable so be careful if you buy it.

Fat Bunny

Post by Fat Bunny » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:26 pm

Have the LG CH10LS20 drive. Find that it gets noise when writing.

LoveMyCompy

Post by LoveMyCompy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:12 pm

One of my college buddies owns the SAMSUNG SH-B123L, and according to them, it works like a dream. The only issue is that it isn't completely quiet. When it first starts playing a DVD/Blue Ray/CD, it makes a bit of noise which eventually dissipates. As someone else mentioned, it makes a bit of noise when a disk is being recorded. Aside from that, there aren't too many sound issues. Unless you're extremely sensitive to sound (or you have a dog's sense of hearing), then this is probably your best bet. However, do take into consideration that this is the only one that I've seen (or heard) in action.