Help me choosing 1TB Internal HDD

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Help me choosing 1TB Internal HDD

Post by thejamppa » Sun May 09, 2010 9:24 am

Hello everyone!

I need new storage drive as my 500 GB storage drive has become full and even when cleaning stuff out its not enough for me (dang digicamera, RAW's eat HDD space so much).

I have 500 Gb Samsung EcoGreen which is nice and inaudiable. So I am looking something to be around that quiet what my Samsung F2 EcoGreen 500GB HD502HI is.

I originally planned to buy a 1,5 TB WD green that was recently reviewed favourably for SPCR, however I did read that there's been trouble ibn 1,0TB + HDD's with windows and with fewer platter 1 TB drives with 2x 500Gb platters are quieter.

I have narrowed down my choices following HDD's:
Samsung EcoGreen F2 1TB HD103SI

and

Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB WD10EARS or WD10EADS

I did read WD10EARS were new generation AFD (Advanced Format Discs) which mean they needed tol align if used in XP (like I am currently) and all the trouble either playing with jumpers or use Alignment disc tool to align partitions is really big turn off for me.

What I basicly understood you can format and partition WD10EARS in Windows 7 without need to use a partition tool, which would ease things up but still...

WD10EADS seems to be older tech from WD than EARS but also seems to be more hassle free than its newer brother. So this might be way to go...

I am looking quietest 1 TB internal HDD currently available. Any input or recomendations are appreciated...

I am not fully clear with AFD drivers what WD has put-out but it seems that best thing is to avoid EARS-series like plague if you use XP. Maybe I am erronous... but any input is greatly appreciated.

whiic

Post by whiic » Tue May 11, 2010 3:52 pm

The quietest 1TB HDD would probably be WD10TPVT. That is 1TB WD Scorpio Blue (5200rpm 2.5" HDD). But since 3.5" HDD cost less than half of it's price, you might want to skip it. Especially as 5400rpm 3.5" are quite quiet even if not the quietest.

I don't think there's any 1TB HDD is quiet as Samsung F2 EcoGreen 500GB HD502HI (5400rpm, 1-platter) as all 1TB HDDs still use 2 platters. They would however be almost as quiet. I like Ecogreen F2 1TB but I don't have first-hand experience with newest (2-platter) generation of WD's 1TB Green. I only have those 4- and 3-platter generation Greenpowers.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Tue May 11, 2010 11:05 pm

I expect no 1TB is as quiet as my single platter, but near as quiet would be sifficient. Since my Samsungs have worked well and due problems newest 1TB WD's have, the F2 EcoGreen 1Tb seems like an excellent choice.

Thank you very much, whiic.

leem

Re: Help me choosing 1TB Internal HDD

Post by leem » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:24 pm

I'm pleased with my 500Gb Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVTand am looking to get a 1Gb WD10TEVT or TPVT. I'd appreciate any feedback on these: on noise, performance, reliability... and how they compare to Samsung Spinpoint MT2 HM100UI or Toshiba MK1059GSM?

cheers :)