Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

SSD's and speakers

Post by xan_user » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:08 am

i saw in this thread,
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64655
that one should be careful with ssd's and their proximity to speakers. (SPCR doesn't have direct linking to posts?!?)

how important is the audio speaker concerns with ssd? One of my satellite speakers sits right next to my case and i just upgraded to ssd...never had any issues with my hdd tho.

is ssd more sensitive to magnetic fields than traditional hdd?

lapon

Re: SSD's and speakers

Post by lapon » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:56 am

SSD's shouldn't be sensitive to magnetic fields below those used in MRI machines. SSD's use stored charge to hold your data, so unless you are working with some wickedly powerful magnets, they should be pretty solid. Static might be a problem but just always ground yourself and be careful when working.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:23 am

The speaker won't affect the SSD and the SSD won't affect the speaker. It's just integrated circuits in the SSD - no primary magnetic properties to speak of. The only possible reaction I could see would be to place the SSD on top of your speaker wire or tie the SSD cable in line with your speaker wire and maybe..just maybe there might be some RF noise coupling to your speaker.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:05 pm

yeah thats what i thought guys, thanks.
sounded really weird to me that ssd's would be sensitive to magnetic fields - but wanted to be sure...