Nasty high pitch noise on Samsung F4EG 2TB

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jamsponge

Nasty high pitch noise on Samsung F4EG 2TB

Post by jamsponge » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:59 am

Hi,

Just got my Samsung F4EG 2TB and I have to say I am not that impressed with the noise level. I have quite a high pitched noise going on. How would I reduce this effectively? Is mine faulty? Is anyone else similar?

Also I have to say that the vibrations seem very low on my version (other people on here have commented it has high vibrations).

Thanks

mkk

Re: Nasty high pitch noise on Samsung F4EG 2TB

Post by mkk » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:05 pm

I got one like that of the three that I bought late last year. A high pitched whine like from really old 7200rpm drives. It's definitely abnormal so return it for a new one. The one I got with that noise was bought in december, a time where I normally don't buy harddrives because of a hightened risk of abuse during shipping, which may or may not have been involved. The store replacement from the same shipment has been perfectly fine though.

jamsponge

Post by jamsponge » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:27 pm

I got a refund on the drive. What is a good alternative 2TB drive? The spin up speed was pretty awful of the Samsung F4. My 500GB Samsung HD502HI spins up much more quickly.

Anyone have any experiences with the 2TB Seagate ST32000542AS?

Also any thoughts on the best way of storing media? External hard drive? USB 3? esata? wait for thunderbolt/lightpeak?

Thanks

HFat

Post by HFat » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:46 pm

External eSATA drives are probably best for storing media. A NAS would be more convenient of course.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:15 pm

I'm pretty happy with mine, just got one yesterday. Running in an external case

It's way quieter than the Samsung 103SJ 1TB 7200rpm drive it replaced, and faster!
Sounds like it's half the volume.

The first 1.2TB is faster than average speed of the 1TB 7.2k drive :shock:
Although it's pretty slow after that, so it would not be a bad idea to buy one just to use the first half, they're cheap enough :P