It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Are Scorpios vibrators now? Or did I just get a bad one?
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:27 pm 

I love the WD2500BEVS (2.5" WD Scorpio 250GB 5400rpm) in my MacBookPro, both of which I got back in '07.

I a few months ago I got a 320GB Scorpio 5400rpm though (I'll look up the model number when I get a chance), and it vibrated like an ultrasonic chamber. Ok not quite, but it was very noticeable tactilely when using the MacBok I installed it in for a friend, and my ears could pick it up as well. I was actually a bit embarrassed to have fixed him up with such a drive. Is this the general state of affairs with today's Scorpios, at least the larger ones?

The Scorpios used to be the go to mobile HDDs for me. I had another mate that just today need a new HDD. I just order a Hitachi 5K500.B 500GB 5400rpm for him. We'll see how that works out (I'll report back here).

Post subject: Re: Are Scorpios vibrators now? Or did I just get a bad one?
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:21 pm 

I just want to follow up and say the 2.5" Hitachi 5K500.B 500GB sample I just got in from OWC is very nice indeed and highly recommended. This will be my de-facto 2.5" choice until SSDs become cheaper, at least for now.

Any feedback from recent Scorpio purchasers?

Post subject: Re: Are Scorpios vibrators now? Or did I just get a bad one?
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:29 am 
Friend of SPCR

I bought a 640GB Scorpio and found it to be a bit noisier than my older 40GB drives, but this is understandable given the doubling of the number of platters. Overall they are still my favourite HDD (not that I have a vast amount of experience with different models) though variance from sample to sample is still a possibility.