Suspending HDDs with non-elastic cord

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ermi

Suspending HDDs with non-elastic cord

Post by ermi » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:30 am

I'm considering using non-elastic cord instead of the usual elastic for suspension. It has one main advantage of being more durable and doesn't become loose over time.
I was thinking of a cord of the type that is used for shoe laces. (Nylon type cord is also an option, but I'm afraid it would make some more noise, like guitar strings :wink:.)

How does such a cord perform in terms of noise? In general I'd not just let the HDD hang on it, but I'd try to make the HDD stay in place by tightening the cord in all directions.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Suspending HDDs with non-elastic cord

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:36 am

Sure seems like it wouldn't isolate the vibrations as well as something elastic, but give it a try. You've got nothing to lose but time and the cost of a shoelace. It' may be perfectly satisfactory to you, and it certainly solves the only negative issue I've ever seen with elastic suspension.

ces

Post by ces » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:41 am

I think it might create additional resonsnace if I understand what you are proposing.

Take at look at these options:
viewtopic.php?p=539359#p539359
especially the noise magic

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:13 pm

"Guitar string" is a good description as that's exactly what you'd have.

If drive security is an issue, I'd look at getting some small bungee cords from your local home improvement store. They can be cut, tied, and routed just about any way you want. More importantly, you can use some cable anchors (the kind you secure speaker or cable wires with) to lock your drive to the bungees.

judge56988
Friend of SPCR

Post by judge56988 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:25 am

This is similar to the stuff I used, it's perfect.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:52 pm

Manufacturers have made significant progress in HDD vibration and noise reduction in the last 5 years. If you have a recent HDD, then a simple silicone mount (like on Antec cases) should work just as well as suspension. If you have an older drive where this is not the case, then you might want to get a new one just to improve data reliability in addition to noise reduction. Prices have come way down also.

ermi

Post by ermi » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:34 am

Just letting you know that I tried this in the lower cage of a P183 with an F3 and an F2 green.

First with a 3mm non elastic cord, like this:

And then with a 3mm bungee/shock cord:

The result: I cannot say with confidence that I notice a difference. This is probably also in part due to the silicon grommets between the cord and the metal casing, as you can see in the pictures. If I had to take a pick, I'd say that the elastic method is slightly better, but honestly it could as well be placebo.
They did both seem to be an improvement over the default mounting, tho. But not a big improvement, the default mounting is pretty good and should be fine for most people. But in my case, the HDDs are definitely the loudest components, since the fans are inaudible in idle.

I think to reach a definitive conclusion on acoustic properties of non-elastic cord suspension, we'd have to try it in more problematic cases, where any kind of suspension makes a big difference. The P183 is not such a case.

capoeira

Post by capoeira » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:39 am

first time I tried suspending I used non-elastic cord, with the result that a lot of vibrations still got sent to the case via the cords:
viewtopic.php?p=546551#p546551