I need a silent enclosure and hard drive

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ozkar

I need a silent enclosure and hard drive

Post by Ozkar » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:39 am

My DirecTV DVR makes too much noise. It's constantly accessing the hard drive. I need to find an external eSATA case and a quiet hard drive to use with my DVR. It has to be as quiet as possible. Any recommendations?

Lsv

Re: I need a silent enclosure and hard drive

Post by Lsv » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:13 pm

Ozkar wrote:My DirecTV DVR makes too much noise. It's constantly accessing the hard drive. I need to find an external eSATA case and a quiet hard drive to use with my DVR. It has to be as quiet as possible. Any recommendations?
All those DVR/PVR boxes have the hard drives mounted directly in the chassis and it causes vibrations to spread through-out the entire chassis. It's so damn terrible.

Moving the drive to almost any external enclosure that has rubber mounts or some sort of vibration dampening will be great...

However, this Scythe Quiet Drive for 2.5" hard drives got an Editors Choice here at SPCR and if I was to use on I would go for it.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/scythe-quietdrive2.5

It's meant for internal use but I think it'll be perfect to sit on top of or behind your DVR.

Ozkar

Post by Ozkar » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:22 am

Ok, now all I need is a quiet laptop hard drive. Which would you recommend?

Lsv

Post by Lsv » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:58 am

Ozkar wrote:Ok, now all I need is a quiet laptop hard drive. Which would you recommend?
You could get away with a larger 3.5" drive. I think Scythe makes a bigger version. You'll have to google that or check Frozen-CPU/Performance-PCS.

As for drives, I'd go with any 5400RPM drive to reduce high pitched whines during operation. Maybe a WD Green drive as they're pretty silent when just spinning. Just note that those drives auto shut down and this may cause problems with the PVR.