It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I need a silent enclosure and hard drive
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:39 am 

My DirecTV DVR makes too much noise. It's constantly accessing the hard drive. I need to find an external eSATA case and a quiet hard drive to use with my DVR. It has to be as quiet as possible. Any recommendations?

Post subject: Re: I need a silent enclosure and hard drive
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:13 pm 

Ozkar wrote:
My DirecTV DVR makes too much noise. It's constantly accessing the hard drive. I need to find an external eSATA case and a quiet hard drive to use with my DVR. It has to be as quiet as possible. Any recommendations?

All those DVR/PVR boxes have the hard drives mounted directly in the chassis and it causes vibrations to spread through-out the entire chassis. It's so damn terrible.

Moving the drive to almost any external enclosure that has rubber mounts or some sort of vibration dampening will be great...

However, this Scythe Quiet Drive for 2.5" hard drives got an Editors Choice here at SPCR and if I was to use on I would go for it.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/scythe-quietdrive2.5

It's meant for internal use but I think it'll be perfect to sit on top of or behind your DVR.

i7 920 (no oc) w/ Noctua NH-D14 | Asus P6T | Asus 6950 DC II 2gb | 12gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600mhz | Intel X-25M 80gb Gen2 | 2x WD Caviar Green 1TB 64m cache |2x WD Caviar Green 2TB 64m cache | Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 | Seasonic X-660 | Fractal Design R3 + 4x Noctua S12B 120mm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:22 am 

Ok, now all I need is a quiet laptop hard drive. Which would you recommend?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:58 am 

Ozkar wrote:
Ok, now all I need is a quiet laptop hard drive. Which would you recommend?

You could get away with a larger 3.5" drive. I think Scythe makes a bigger version. You'll have to google that or check Frozen-CPU/Performance-PCS.

As for drives, I'd go with any 5400RPM drive to reduce high pitched whines during operation. Maybe a WD Green drive as they're pretty silent when just spinning. Just note that those drives auto shut down and this may cause problems with the PVR.

i7 920 (no oc) w/ Noctua NH-D14 | Asus P6T | Asus 6950 DC II 2gb | 12gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600mhz | Intel X-25M 80gb Gen2 | 2x WD Caviar Green 1TB 64m cache |2x WD Caviar Green 2TB 64m cache | Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 | Seasonic X-660 | Fractal Design R3 + 4x Noctua S12B 120mm