Quiet BR drive for HTPC

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jsluk

Quiet BR drive for HTPC

Post by jsluk » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:30 am

Hi all,

Just purchased PowerDVD 11. I need a quiet internal blue ray writer recommendation for a future htpc build. I will first use the BD writer in my current system and then move it to the dedicated htpc. I want to learn how to rip BD disks to MK4 format to either an internal or external hard disk. I take it that I need a BD writer. Correct?

Is this one any good?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136241

Do you recommend others that you think are better? Thanks.

p.s. Currently on 6 year old home built computer. Antec P150 case (thanks to SPCR reviewed several years ago); Window XP SP3. 2 GB GSkill Ram; Opteron 170/DFI Lanparty Expert mobo; BFG 7800 video card.

Cyäegha

Re: Quiet BR drive for HTPC

Post by Cyäegha » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:19 am

jsluk wrote:I want to learn how to rip BD disks to MK4 format to either an internal or external hard disk. I take it that I need a BD writer. Correct?
You need a BD reader - whether you also want to be able to write BDs is unrelated (though the price difference isn't that big - around $20 or so, I think, between a given DVD writer/BD reader combo and the equivalent BD writer - so you may prefer a BD writer just in case you need to burn some BDs some day).

CrAzY

Post by CrAzY » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:36 am

Bump for some more options...

I'd be interested in getting some input on suggested readers (and/or writers).

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:53 am

Please try using Search.

Note the part about using Nero DriveSpeed to control your drive's speed. Only way to make it truly quiet and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with BR drives as well.