Silent 6tb drive

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

judelaw

Silent 6tb drive

Post by judelaw » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:39 am

Good evening everyone,

I registered on this forum to know what is the most silent 6tb hard drive and if this drive is indeed silent. I don't mind so much the noise when it's turning on, although I don't like it too much. I mind only the noise while reading. I want it to be dead silent like the smaller drives I already have.
I recently bought an expensive 12tb Seagate st12000dm0007 drive and it's making too much noise when reading. I couldn't keep it. the point is I have an absolute silent computer siting in my single room apartment.

Abula

Re: Silent 6tb drive

Post by Abula » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:23 pm

Some people are bothered by the seeking on helium drives, i personally dont find it as bad, but the biggest you will get on none helium that its decent is WD RED 6tb, it wont be as quiet as 2tb greens but to me its quieter than the 8tb helium reds.

You can also grab a 1 bay nas and place it where you cant hear your Seagate 12tb and wire it and you can have the drive as a shared network drive/folders, something like Synology DiskStation DS119j will do the trick, and you have it open for more things than just your pc, like backups etc.

Now if you truly want silent and dont care about cost, Samsung 4TB 860 EVO SATA III 2.5" Internal SSD.