Help with SSD selection

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

AkselVerg

Help with SSD selection

Post by AkselVerg » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:22 pm

Hello, everybody! Can someone help me? Faced the problem of insufficiently fast exchange of information with the HDD. As I was explained, I can replace the HDD with an SSD card and then the data rate will increase properly, I have an old computer, not a Pentium of course, but not the latest game model :D So the point is that I still can not choose what SSD to take. I liked several options here https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/ssds, like OCZ Toshiba Trion, so I choose one of these options. As I understood the SSD will help to speed up ongoing operations of Windows, also I have quite enough RAM (16GB). What amount of memory on the SSD will be optimal? Just learned that the HDD can be left as an additional drive, while SSD would be the main one, is there any sense to do it?

CA_Steve

Re: Help with SSD selection

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:05 am

Welcome to SPCR. I moved your post to it's own topic thread.

An SSD can greatly speed up the boot time of a PC. It can also speed up data heavy tasks/apps. SSD size is best determined by your needs as well as your budget.

What are your uses/apps? How much space does Windows and your applications take up on your HDD?

AkselVerg

Post by AkselVerg » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:49 pm

CA_Steve wrote:Welcome to SPCR. I moved your post to it's own topic thread.

An SSD can greatly speed up the boot time of a PC. It can also speed up data heavy tasks/apps. SSD size is best determined by your needs as well as your budget.

What are your uses/apps? How much space does Windows and your applications take up on your HDD?
Windows takes nearly 35GB, but I`m using Photoshop and it is quite heavy. I have some troubles with its launching - it takes so much time, that I can go make coffee and smoke. :oops: Using cs6.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:41 am

Pretty much what Steve said.
Coming from HDD only, any SSD will improve your performance. Compared to a regular HDD there's little difference in performance between the "slow" (cheapish) and "fast" (expensive) SSDs.

Personally I use a Kingston V300 120GB as a system disk with OS, web browser and a few select programs installed. It's an SSD known to be "slow" and cheap, but it's good enough for me. Most of the programs and data is kept on a regular HDD (2TB).
If I had a ~500GB SSD I could squeeze my mostly used programs onto it, but I can't afford that yet. (I did try a Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD bought on sale, but that one died after three months. :sad: Got the money back, but that wasn't enough to buy an equivalent replacement.)

As I see it there are possibly three arrangement options for you:
1. An SSD to completely replace the HDD. Must have the capacity to cover all your needs.
2. System SSD supplemented by the HDD. What I use. 100-300 GB in capacity should do the trick.
3. Intel Smart Response Technology. Demands a motherboard that support this technology. Use a smaller (<130GB) SSD combined with your HDD. The SSD will function like a "cache" memory storing copies of the data most often read from the HDD. More versatile than a system disk, but will also wear out the SSD faster because of no or crappy "garbage management".

As for what brand/model to buy, my gut suggestion is to get sufficient capacity at the lowest price point. There's little, if any, difference in reliability between cheap and expensive. The difference in performance that do exist you'll barely notice. (If high performance was important to you you'd be running expensive SSDs a long time now.)

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:35 am

AkselVerg wrote:Windows takes nearly 35GB, but I`m using Photoshop and it is quite heavy. I have some troubles with its launching - it takes so much time, that I can go make coffee and smoke. :oops: Using cs6.
Even a slow HDD shouldn't take that load to load Photoshop CS6....there may be another issue....

It would help a lot if you would detail the rest of the system:
- make and model of the PC (if not homebuilt)
- CPU
- RAM amount
- HDD model / size and the amount of free space available
- version of Windows

bern

Post by bern » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:53 pm

If you're going for the M2 might as well go for m.2 nvme if you can afford it.

bern

Post by bern » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:07 pm

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by flyingsherpa » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:17 am

bern wrote:If you're going for the M2 might as well go for m.2 nvme if you can afford it.
He said he has an older system... doubt it supports m.2. But yeah, we really need his system specs to make the best recommendation.