It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Recommended NAS drives? 3TB+
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:06 pm 

The last few I bought were WD Red, but I'm reading here that they're not what they used to be.

So what's good?

Post subject: Re: Recommended NAS drives? 3TB+
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:43 pm 

I have a 3tb red, and its pretty good, some have said the newer are different, but i haven't bought any 3tb reds recently, i have bought 8tb reds and seems decent, not as quiet as the 3tb, but i needed the space for the server, i haven't found any other drives that are better noise wise, although seagate arent as bad noise wise as before, i still prefer reds. Im still kinda wondering how will the 10tb red will perform, in time as my server fills, im going to start a second server with those drives.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:51 am 

Yeah I have 4TB Ironwolfs and they aren't anything amazing sound wise. Not terrible, but not great either.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:16 pm 

Abula wrote:
I have a 3tb red, and its pretty good, some have said the newer are different, but i haven't bought any 3tb reds recently

I've bought a 3Tb Red recently (last month) and coming from a 7 years old WD Black, I have to say it is nearly as noisy, if not the same. It is a different sound signature though. This 3tb red sounds more "spinner" than the black, while the wd black had a "fuller" constant sound (maybe this is due to the rpm difference). And the seeking noise on this Red is more noticeable.

It is spinning in a desktop PC. If I could go back in time, I wouldn't have bought this WD Red at all. As I said, the noise is almost the same. I wasn't expecting a hard drive to be dead silent, just at least less noisy than a WD Black, but I was very dissapointed. Maybe I would try a WD Blue 3tb (again, for desktop PC). Maybe since the blues are a labeled as "desktop hard drive" Western Digital is making them quieter than the reds which are labeled as "NAS drives". I know time ago the reds were a no-brainer, but sadly that time is in the past.

As for the OP, if it was me, and the NAS was going to be in another Room or like 8 meters away, I would go with a red. If not, I would keep searching.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:58 am 

I'm also looking for a 3TB drive and was planning to get WD Red, but maybe not anymore... Hopefully any user with experience with recent 3.5" Blues can provide feedback.