It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: With helium drives, anything above 6TB = noisy?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:00 am 

Despite using WD Reds for basic storage for years I'd never put together a NAS setup.

With 2018 nearly upon us I thought I'd get round to it. So with the Asustor enclosure on the way, I received a WD Red 8TB (WD80EFZX) today. Switching on my test enclosure first thing I noticed was, in comparison to small capacities, ramped up vibration. Higher seeks I'd expected but the vibration is beyond my tolerance level.

From a quick search around all these 'helium' drives seem to have characteristics of quiet idle but noisy seeks and high vibration. So I'm wondering if anything 8TB+ will be unavoidably noisy.

I've been happy with a couple of 6TB Reds I use externally, so I might have to abandon my idea of 2x 8TB NAS and look at 3x 6TB.

Thoughts and experiences?

Post subject: Re: With helium drives, anything above 6TB = noisy?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:34 pm 

Im using 6x WD 8TB My Book on my server atm, they are not quiet but to me they are not loud as WD Black, i simply needed the storage and didnt want to overspend, this have worked good for 6 months now, they seems to be like WD Reds (although i havent bought a single helium retail red).

We are not getting standard 8tb none helium Reds, there are some none helium but are 7200rpm. I recently had a brief experience on a friends build with a couple of Seagate Ironwolf 8tb didnt seem that bad either. I believe mike had some and said weren't that bad either for being a 7200rpm, personally im not a brand centric kinda guy, i simply buy whatever is cheap on storage.

But there are mix opinions on both, some say they are too loud other say they are very quiet, to me its neither, just a normal drive, not as quiet as WD 3tb red i have on my main pc, but i expected higher noise with the 6 or more platter design on the helium drives.

Also you will have a very tough time trying to find a prebuilt 3 slot nas, above 2 slot the next common amount is 4 slot NAS, if you can Synology would be my pick for a premade, simply their OS is simple and you get their hybrid raid that you can grow your server as your need increases, and you can mix match hdd sizes. Here some options,
Synology DS418j 4bay NAS DiskStation
Synology DS418 NAS Disk station, 4-Bay, 2GB DDR4 (Diskless)
Synology DS418play NAS Disk Station, 4-bay, 2GB DDR3L (Diskless)
Synology DS918+ NAS Disk Station, Diskless, 4-bay; 4GB DDR3L

Last recommendation, try to place you NAS away from you, the beauty of a NAS is that you can place it almost anywhere where you can get a your network cable.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:36 pm 

Thanks for that.

Yeah I should have said 3x in a 4 bay. No RAID requirement as nearly everything is both already drive and cloud backed up. Went for Asustor as I don't need anything fancy, pricing is keen and people seem pretty happy with them.

Plumped for the WD80EFZX mainly because I could get a decent discount using a coupon on eBay (UK) coupon. TBH I haven't encountered that level of drive vibration for some years. Probably every drive I've bought in the last 5 years has been a Red.

I was aware from the Reddit datahoarder sub people have been taking the drives out of MyBooks for many years. Do you know if they've kept that same 8TB drive in the latest MyBook incarnation? Probably where I'll go next before looking at a smaller size since it's an easy return with Amazon if I'm not happy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:20 pm 

IdontexistM8 wrote:
I was aware from the Reddit datahoarder sub people have been taking the drives out of MyBooks for many years. Do you know if they've kept that same 8TB drive in the latest MyBook incarnation? Probably where I'll go next before looking at a smaller size since it's an easy return with Amazon if I'm not happy.
I bought my 6 drives on 2016, all work well no issues whatsoever, but i heard lately that WD changed something on the drives to use 3.3V for something, some reported using converters from MOLEX to SATA Power made them work fine. I ordered 10x 8tb my books mid of December, but they are coming by boat.... so earliest ill see them is ends of February, so for now i cant tell you for sure if what i read is true.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:20 am 

I have a WD80EFAX (8TB "Red" helium 5400rpm) pulled from an external. The idle noise is unpleasant (high pitched whine), but not loud. Installed in my PC case, it's fine.

Seeks are a loud, dull "thud". In addition, the drive does something in the background, which means you will hear seek noises even when the drive is idle.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:29 am 

Luke M wrote:
I have a WD80EFAX (8TB "Red" helium 5400rpm) pulled from an external. The idle noise is unpleasant (high pitched whine), but not loud. Installed in my PC case, it's fine.

Seeks are a loud, dull "thud". In addition, the drive does something in the background, which means you will hear seek noises even when the drive is idle.

How is the vibration?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:22 am 

IdontexistM8 wrote:
Luke M wrote:

How is the vibration?

I didn't pay much attention to that, sorry.

Overall the drive is quite ordinary except for the idle seek noise. That's new to me.