Need recommendations for quiet optical drives

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Need recommendations for quiet optical drives

Post by aphonos » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:52 pm

Cavicchi wrote:I'm looking for quiet 16xDVD drive and a quiet CD-RW drive - any recommendations?

Thanks!
My quick response is LG's CDRW are typically quiet.

A search on cd*, cdr*, cd-r*, or dvd* will return more details and results.

No problem with you asking, Cavicchi, but this question gets brought up rather frequently. Somone with more time on their hands (than I have) should index the responses that we have to date and start a sticky on this in the storage forum.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:30 pm

MikeC has a review on the Samsung combo DVD/CDRW as well as the CDRW alone on the main site.

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:02 am

Cavicchi wrote:I'm looking for quiet 16xDVD drive and a quiet CD-RW drive - any recommendations?

Thanks!
The combo drive in my sig is outstanding IMO. I've also tried the SM-352B drive, but I found the SM-348 to be quieter, but still plenty fast (including 16XDVD speed). Very smooth tray mechanism also. It was a keeper! Supports Mt Rainier format too, after updating the firmware.

8)

bigred
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by bigred » Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:35 am

For CD-RW, I'd have to say the Plextor Premium. Its "Silent Mode" feature works REALLY well.
But if Plextor prices are too high for you, my next choice would definitely be the Samsung SM-348 that al bundy recommended.