Passive Ultra 120

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

A176

Passive Ultra 120

Post by A176 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:25 am

So i just recently picked up an Ultra 120; considering how performance is just about onpar with the Ninja, it came down to a matter of style, and the 120 wins hands down.

I proceeded to try to fit the thing into my Antec Solo (P150) ... and that proved to be quite the adventure. As some of you might know, these cases have a solid support beam going across the case, which makes for a somewhat difficult situation when putting in the power supply and/or cpu heatsink if you don't plan it out correctly.

With most stock coolers, there is no issues as they're pretty small in height. But the height of this cooler proved to be an issue trying to get it in. Mounting it horizontally to feed airflow to the top of the case would've been easier, but I preferred a vertical placement. With the motherboard, a P5N-E SLI, already mounted, the cooler was simply too tall and I would have had to squeeze it in under the bar to get it into position.

My solution was to unscrew the motherboard from the case, slide it down just a bit towards the bottom of the case, attach and screw down the 120, and then move the mobo back into position. The 120 just barely cleared the support beam.

Curiously, I decided to boot up with no fan attached to the cooler to check performance. Much better than stock, idling at about 38~40 Celsius (E6300). Under orthos, this gradually rose to a maximum of 54. In games (such as SupCom), the temperature hovers in and around the 40s.

I'm using the stock antec tricool on low as exhaust, with a silverstone 550 there as well. 92mm nexus on full for intake.

Ultra 120, highly recommended!

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:30 am

Welcome to SPCR!

belkincp

how about me??

Post by belkincp » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:27 pm

Noone welcomed me... =o(
I feel unloved =o(