The Scythe Infinity cooled by 4ea 120mm fans! (no kidding)

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Felger Carbon

The Scythe Infinity cooled by 4ea 120mm fans! (no kidding)

Post by Felger Carbon » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:06 pm

nici

Post by nici » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:14 pm

Yay. Why not just use one really fast fan? Im sure it would work even better, it would be noisier but if you are going to do that you dont care about nosie anyway.

Ethyriel

Post by Ethyriel » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:26 pm

Nor about airflow, those fans are just going to fight against each other no matter how you arrange them.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:11 pm

Ethyriel wrote:Nor about airflow, those fans are just going to fight against each other no matter how you arrange them.
Wrong! :D The fan on the north blows south. The fan on the south blows south. They're aiding, not fighting. The fan on the east blows west. The fan on the west blows west. They're aiding, not fighting. Net result: air from the northeast moving southwest. All 4 fans aiding this air movement.

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:36 am

Is this how hurricanes are started? :P

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:38 am

Felger Carbon wrote:
Ethyriel wrote:Nor about airflow, those fans are just going to fight against each other no matter how you arrange them.
Wrong! :D The fan on the north blows south. The fan on the south blows south. They're aiding, not fighting. The fan on the east blows west. The fan on the west blows west. They're aiding, not fighting. Net result: air from the northeast moving southwest. All 4 fans aiding this air movement.
North/south fans are flowing south, at the same time east/west fans are flowing west? Sounds like a conflict to me. :?

jjr

Post by jjr » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:11 am

Yep !
A typical 2 fan push - pull would definitely work better and quieter IMHO.
4 fans is pointless and counter productive ...

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: The Scythe Infinity cooled by 4ea 120mm fans! (no kiddin

Post by aristide1 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:05 am

Felger Carbon wrote:Here.
And what's really amazing is they are all blowing air inwards.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

error406

Post by error406 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:43 am

jjr wrote:Yep !
A typical 2 fan push - pull would definitely work better and quieter IMHO....
I would definitely like to see that theory put to the test.... ;-)

(personally I think you would seriously have to finetune both fan speeds to avoid counterproductive turbulence)

jjr

Post by jjr » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:03 am

error406 wrote:
jjr wrote:Yep !
A typical 2 fan push - pull would definitely work better and quieter IMHO....
I would definitely like to see that theory put to the test.... ;-)

(personally I think you would seriously have to finetune both fan speeds to avoid counterproductive turbulence)
Not that difficult. If you use two similar fan at identical voltage then there should beminor variances between CFMs. Which the opening on sides can compensate for easily.

As far as the other post is concerned (all fans blowing inwards) : WTF :(
Are we trying to presurise a rad here ? Maybe that can prevent the heatpipes from leaking over time ...

Kremmit

Post by Kremmit » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:55 pm

It's probably just a dumb marketing geek/photographer, trying to show that you can mount a fan anywhere you want, with no mounting conflicts if more than one is used. Note that that is not a pic of the HS actually installed in a system, just a glamour shot for advertising.

Still dumb, though.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:12 pm

Jab-tech seems to think these are worth offering for sale. They also offer the 2-fan version. Currently out of stock (fan clips en route?).

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:05 pm

McBanjo wrote:Is this how hurricanes are started? :P

yes

It is also how fools and money are seperated.

Unless a person is computing the trajectory for a NASA space shot on an overclocked Prescott Bun Warmer,the only reason to stick 4 fans on that is to keep insects out of the heatsink.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:38 am

I think its not really worth of the money. Infinity is still heavy HSF. I mean its 960 grams. If average 120mm fan is, let's assume around: 130g, that x 4 = 520 grams.

Combine HSF weight to fan weights: 1480 grams! which is attachted with VTMS. But that sounds seriously risky to me. Definately not Lan worthy. I think you're better off with Antec P-180, put Infinity with 1 fan spinning and use P-180's dual exhaust. Less changes damaging your motherboard.

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:04 pm

with 4 fans ud end up with an "X" like fan path and the 2 airflows from the two fans pushing would crash making a horrible path of air flow... now 2 fans pulling air though it wouldnt be bad as long as the fans where put in the shape of an "L"

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:11 pm

Maybe the airflow path will be more towards a " ) ( " situation, but it's hard to measure anyway.

butters

Post by butters » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:21 pm

It doesn't seem like this multi-axis fan arrangement makes sense. However, it could conceivably make sense to want to generate airflow in an unusual direction. Perhaps a HSF could be designed such that the tower and fan assembly can rotate about the contact plate and retention assembly. The difficult part would be designing a locking spindle that transmits heat efficiently. A beefy central heatpipe would double as the axle. Then you would be able to rotate the HSF 360 degrees, possibly even without un-mounting.

The engineer in me says this is a good idea, but the project manager on my other shoulder says they'd never make any money on it.