Corsair 520HX
Corsair XMS 2x1gb
p180b

The cooling set up is as follows:

1 Yateloon in the Front pulling air in
1 Yateloon on the Top of the case
1 Yateloon on the Back of the Case
1 Yate Loon Mounted on Ninja

I used artic silver 5 on the Ninja and I'm sure its seated properly, I have no OCed at all. The fans are all running at 1100-1200 rpm. I am using Intels Thermal Analysis tool (TAT) to put full load on both cores.

Full load is 65c or 66c, but with a high end game life Bf2 it only goes up to 40. I've read on this http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware ... 21745.html
guide, that with an idle temp or 31, my load temp should be around 50-50c, thats why the 65c temperature concerns me

So, is TAT an unrealistic test and are my temps fine, or is there something wrong I'm doing. I mean, two orthos put my CPU at 52c.

Thanks, I would appreciate any help with this, maybe personal experiences. [/url]

bkh

Post by bkh » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:51 am

Re-do your arctic silver. Probably your CPU isn't going to burn up immediately, but you should be able to get to 55c or lower with your setup. There is a rumor that 60c is reasonably safe -- some people turn down their fan to the slowest speed (for quiet) that keeps the temperature no higher than 60c under load.

I built a system with an E6600 and a thermalright XP-120 with arctic silver 5.
When I fired up a couple folding jobs the temperature went to 65. Evidently I did it wrong. So I took the sink off, re-cleaned the sink and the cpu, reapplied a smaller amount of arctic silver (a thin line in the location and direction specified on the arctic silver web site for Intel C2D), and that dropped the loaded temperature to 55c. Probably with more experimentation I could get it down another few degrees, but I'm not overclocking; 55c is safe. This is with a Scythe D model fan which runs around 800rpm if I recall.

Then of course I installed Ubuntu 64-bit linux to run SMP folding, which gives about double points. I still boot into XP occasionally, but for web and email
Firefox and Thunderbird work just fine in linux.

burebista

Post by burebista » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:14 am

Try CoreTemp.
Maybe TAT see your Tjunction temperature at 100°C instead 85°C hence those 15°C difference.

Bories36

Post by Bories36 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:04 pm

Ya, I might reseat it, but I did follow the instructions. I'll wait a week and see if the A5 burns in.

I tried core temp and it gives the same readings, thanks for the advice guys.

RBBOT

Post by RBBOT » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:12 pm

Make sure your CPU voltage isn't too high - Asus boards often do this on the "auto" BIOS settings. At stock speed you should be able to undervolt it to reduce temperatures.

I'm running an E6600 in an almost identical setup except for 4 sticks of RAM (P182, 4x2Gb RAM, 8800GTS, Noctua 800rpm fans in the same places you have them) and it is overclocked to 3.0Ghz with the voltage still only set at 1.275 volts in the BIOS which is reported back as an actual 1.25 volts idle/1.24 under load. This runs CPU Tcase temp of 32 idle and 47 under orthos. Tjunction temps (cores) are 39 idle and 54 orthos. Unfortunately TAT won't run on Vista 64 bit so I can't tell you my temps under TAT. Ambient is around 19 (I don't have an accurate room thermometer here)

However, the load TAT creates is unrealisticly high - that's its purpose in life - Orthos is a better approximation to the hottest a real world application will get. Games aren't going to produce the highest CPU load of all applications as they aren't fully CPU intensive. The highest CPU temps I've seen from a real-world application were from Microsoft SQL Server analysis services when processing OLAP cubes -that reached the same temps as orthos on my laptop.